The Anderson Family - Ardrossan - WWI

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

The Anderson Family - Ardrossan - WWI

Post by Penny Tray »

By the time I finish the 'WWI GALLERY' topic, the individual photographs of the five Anderson brothers of Winton Street, Ardrossan, will have appeared. It may be of interest, however, to any descendants currently researching the family to be aware of the following excerpt from a contemporary newspaper: -
Attachments
ANDERSON family.JPG
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Anderson Family - Ardrossan - WWI

Post by Meg »

It’s hard to believe the impact on just one wee family isn’t it. The parents hearts must have been broken. A handsome and brave group of young men.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Real life example of “Private Ryan” just watched “Saving private Ryan” last night
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Wasn't "Puffer" (Danny Anderson) sports writer for the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald in the 1940s and 50s from Winton Street? Perhaps related.

My mother-in-law's maiden surname on our marriage certificate is Anderson - this was her adopted name and I recall her telling me when she was a wee girl she lived in Winton Street in what she said was a cobbler's shop - she was born C1917. See here

Found to be unrelated to the family in this topic.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Hughie,

The father's name was Thomas, the water manager in the town, and the family lived at 25 Winton Street. Incidentally, I thought about "Puffer" when I was posting. Few of us will remember him now - the legend reporter of the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald!
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

I wondered if there was a connection to Puffer. He lived up Winton street at the school end. Remember he had a very big rocking horse in the front room.
Looking at Google maps no 25 is where Puffer lived.

Should not Google things late at night. It was 26 where I visited Puffer with my Dad.
Last edited by bobnetau on Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Had a wee look and found out that Thomas Anderson had a son called Daniel. Daniel was born in 1891 at Dumbarton and died in 1974 at Saltcoats. I think he could have been "Puffer".
Thomas Anderson had a total of 9 sons, 2 daughters and 1 stepdaughter. According to the censuses they lived at No. 26 Winton St.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

The following obituary was published in the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald in 1974
Danny Anderson (Puffer)
Mr Daniel Anderson passed away suddenly at his home, 26 Winton Street, Ardrossan, on Sunday. Danny Anderson was better known to the sporting fraternity of Ayrshire as Puffer, the nom–de-plume he used during the many years he was a sports writer on this newspaper. He was held in high respect by all who knew him. A skilled commentator on football matters, he never pulled his punches or curried favour. At practically every ground in the country he was a welcome and appreciated guest. During the war years Puffer began to write his news column A Look Around which was compulsive reading for all who bought the newspaper. Through this column he appealed for gifts and ‘comforts’ for the Forces and many a lonely outpost received recreational facilities as a result of Puffer’s efforts. A native of Dumbarton, Mr Anderson was the fifth son of Mr Thomas Anderson who was employed as Water Manager at Ardrossan. He served his time at Ardrossan Dockyard as a plater and worked there for many years. If football was Danny Anderson’s first love then boxing was his second. He started a club in Ardrossan and trained several young boxers whose skill earned them fame outside the town. He was also for many years associated with Winton Rovers and acted for a time as trainer. A man of intense loyalty, Danny Anderson served his readers, his newspaper and his employers well. He never shirked the issue and stated his mind irrespective of what unpopularity it might earn him. Those who knew him as a friend will long remember Danny as a true sportsman. Mr James Stewart, a former editor of the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald writes ‘Never in my 25 years experienceas a newspaperman on Scottish dailies and weeklies did I meet a colleague quite like Puffer. He contributed to the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald over many years, two weekly columns, one of them aptly called Look Around. His style could only be described as unique in journalism. He wrote not only about sport – he wrote about everything and anything he saw and heard - and when all the bits and pieces were put together the column became, at that time, one of the most popular features of this newspaper
’.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Thanks for that, George. I seem to recall he had a cartoon image of a man smoking a pipe at the start of his sports column.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

The 1911 census shows that the Anderson family lived at 26 Winton Street, Ardrossan. Thomas, aged 51, was the father and the Water Manager of Ardrossan Town Council. His wife was Sarah, 51. Their ten children living with them were John 27, David 23, Thomas 22, Daniel 20, James 17, George 16, Robert 14, Annie 12, Kate 10 and Edward 8.

At the 1901 census, the family lived at 213 Glasgow Street, Ardrossan. There were two other children - Sarah then aged 19 and Donald then 15.

Of the twelve children, John, Donald, David, James, Robert and Edward played for Winton Rovers and Danny (Puffer) was a trainer.

George
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Just wondering where they all slept and what size the house was. I didn’t think the houses were that big.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I've been wondering the same Meekan, and note that there are newspaper references to the family living at No. 25 Winton Street, and others quoting No, 26. I wonder if Mr and Mrs Anderson, on account of their extraordinary large family, could either have owned two properties, or been allocated two properties by Ardrossan Town Council, with whom Mr Anderson was a key figure??

Incidentally, Mr Anderson is generally referred to as Thomas but has also been referred to as John??