World War I Gallery

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: World War I Gallery

Post by Penny Tray »

Lance Corporal Innes Lumsden was killed in action; son of Mrs Lumsden and the late Mr Innes Lumsden, 13 Robertson Crescent, Saltcoats: -
Attachments
LUMSDEN Innes.JPG
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Private James Lynn, (23), was killed in action; brother of Mrs Ritchie, Shore Road, Stevenston: -
Attachments
LYNN James.JPG
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Private Matthew Lynn, (23), was killed in action; son of Mr and Mrs James Lynn, 39 Townhead, Stevenston: -
Attachments
LYNN Matthew.JPG
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Private Archibald MacDonald,(22), died on service in an railway accident at Tonbridge, England, while returning to active service in France and Flanders; son of Mr and Mrs John MacDonald, 18 Winton Street, Ardrossan: -
Attachments
MacDONALD Archibald.JPG
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Private Gilbert Mackenzie (sometimes McKenzie) was killed in action; husband of Mrs Mackenzie, 6 Seabank Street, Saltcoats: -
Attachments
MacKENZIE Gilbert.JPG
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Private Thomas Major died on service; son of Mr Thomas and Mrs Jeanie Major, Canal Street, Saltcoats: -
Attachments
MAJOR Thomas.JPG
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Private Hugh Peter McCafferty, (33), was killed in action; husband of Isabella Dunholm McCafferty, Gladstone Road, Saltcoats: -
Attachments
McCafferty Hugh.JPG
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Private Daniel McCallum, (27), was killed in action; son of Mrs and the late Mr Daniel McCallum, Kilmahew Street, Ardrossan; and husband of Mrs Isabella Dunbar McCallum, Thistle Cottages, Stevenston, and father of Alick: -
Attachments
McCALLUM Daniel.JPG
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Private James McCallum, (20), died of wounds received in action; son of Mrs Annie and the late Mr Duncan McCallum, 13 Barr Street, Ardrossan: -
Attachments
McCALLUM James.JPG
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Private William Thomson McCallum, (22) died of wounds received in action; son of Mr and Mrs John McCallum, 85 Raise Street, Saltcoats: -
Attachments
McCALLUM William.JPG
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Thanks for posting the photo, PT. One for the family tree. He and my gran were first cousins.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Thanks for acknowledging the post Irene. The photograph appeared, I understand, in the 10 May, 1918, edition of the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald, with the following narrative: -

“Mr and Mrs John McCallum, 85 Raise Street, Saltcoats, have been officially notified that their second son, Private William McCallum, died of wounds at a base hospital on 12th April.

He was 22 years of age, and before enlisting was employed in Nobel’s Explosives Factory.”

The subject, of course, was Private WILLIAM THOMSON McCALLUM, (22), Service No. 32304, Royal Scots Fusiliers - Theatre of war, France and Flanders - born and enlisted at Saltcoats; buried at La Kreule Military Cemetery, Hazebrouck, France (Plot 1, Row C, Grave 4), with the inscription - "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ"; son of Mr and Mrs John McCallum, Raise Street, Saltcoats.

I have no doubt you'll have all the above information. Also, the following photograph, but there's no harm in letting other Threetowners know that photographs of WWI Graves are often available online.

https://www.twgpp.org/photograph/view/4146687