World War I Gallery

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: World War I Gallery

Post by Penny Tray »

Private William Hamilton, (31), died of wounds received in action; son of Mr and Mrs Robert Hamilton, 16 Canal Street, Saltcoats: -
Attachments
HAMILTON William.JPG
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Private James Harkins died in action; husband of Mrs Harkins, 66 Raise Street, Saltcoats, and father of four children: -
Attachments
HARKINS James.JPG
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Private James Havlin died in a military hospital having been gassed in action; son of William Havlin; and nephew of Mrs George McCulloch, 12 Vernon Street, Saltcoats: -
Attachments
HAVLIN J.JPG
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Private Thomas Hewitt died in action; husband of Mrs Hewitt, Canal Street, Saltcoats: -
Attachments
HEWITT Thomas.JPG
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Private James Hughey was killed in action; son of Mrs Hughey, 4 Arthur Street, Saltcoats, and the late James Hughey: -
Attachments
HUGHEY James.JPG
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Have known the Hughey family a long time. They made us welcome when we came to Australia, we visited them often in Geelong where they settled around 1961 from Stevenston. Not a common name, so I would think that's a relative of member Jim Hughey who has attended our threetowners reunions.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

That's interesting Hughie. I have previously posted the following information in respect of Private Hughey: -

CASUALTY OF WAR
10 MARCH 1915

Died on service at Neuve Chapelle, Private JAMES HUGHEY, (36), 1ST Battalion Irish Rifles – Theatre of war, France and Flanders – son of Mrs Hughey, 4 Arthur Street, Saltcoats, and the late James Hughey.

The Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald subsequently reported: -

“On Friday morning Mrs Hughey, 4 Arthur Street, Saltcoats, received official notice that her son Private James Hughey, Royal Irish Rifles, had been killed in action on March 10.

Private Hughey joined the Irish Rifles in 1896, and served twelve years. During that time he had been in India and South Africa with his regiment.

He was a well-known hockey and football player.

On the expiry of his term of service he came to reside in Saltcoats, and entered Messrs Nobel’s Factory in 1908. He was a member of the Ardeer Company of Territorials, and left the Factory in January to join his old regiment.

He had only been at the front about six weeks when he fell in action.

Private Hughey was unmarried and resided with his mother, and was a most exemplary young man. His father was Sergeant Major Hughey, of the Royal Marine Artillery, and saw service in the Crimea. His brother, Mr Arthur Hughey, is at present the secretary of the Ardeer Section of the Scottish Union, and was also for some years in the army.”
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Captain Bentley Moore Hunter, M.B., Ch.B., Royal Army Medical Corps, formerly an assistant doctor at Stevenston, was killed in action while trying to save the lives of others; son of Mr Charles and Mrs Susan Hunter, School House, Dunragit, Dumfriesshire: -
Attachments
HUNTER Bentley.JPG
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Private James Hunter, (22), was killed in action; son of Mr James and Mrs Margaret Hunter, Townhead of Montfode, Ardrossan: -
Attachments
HUNTER James.JPG
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Private Thomas Anderson, 1st Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers, was wounded in action; son of Mr Thomas Anderson, Water Manager, and Mrs Anderson, 26 Winton Street, Ardrossan, who had five sons serving in the Colours, two of whom, Privates David Shanks Anderson, 8th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders, and George Anderson, 9th Battalion Black Watch, were killed in action: -
Attachments
ANDERSON Thomas.JPG
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Drivers James Anderson, served in the 2nd Lowland Brigade (Ammunition Column), and was a son of Mr Thomas Anderson, Water Manager, and Mrs Anderson, 26 Winton Street, Ardrossan, who had five sons serving in the Colours, two of whom, Privates David Shanks Anderson, 8th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders, and George Anderson, 9th Battalion Black Watch, were killed in action; and Private Thomas Anderson, 1st Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers, who was wounded: -
Attachments
ANDERSON James.JPG
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Drivers Robert Anderson, served in the 2nd Lowland Brigade (Ammunition Column), and was a son of Mr Thomas Anderson, Water Manager, and Mrs Anderson, 26 Winton Street, Ardrossan, who had five sons serving in the Colours, two of whom, Privates David Shanks Anderson, 8th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders, and George Anderson, 9th Battalion Black Watch, were killed in action; and Private Thomas Anderson, 1st Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers, who was wounded: -
Attachments
ANDERSON Robert.JPG