Ardrossan Motive Power Depot 67D

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
Chico1968
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Ardrossan Motive Power Depot 67D

Post by Chico1968 »

Thanks folks,incidentally,there's a copy of the book currently on auction on eBay for anyone who's interested in obtaining a copy.
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 0802 »

Chico1968 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:53 pm Ardrossan Motive Power Depot 67D photographed on 6/7/1970 from a passing train.My grandfather,Charlie Gordon was based here when he was a train driver.The copyright for this picture is unknown,the image being found by the seller in an old photo album.ImageArdrossan MPD 6-7-70 by Charles Gordon, on Flickr
Just trying to place this picture, is that the top of the steeple of Church of Scotland Princes Street visible in the distance?
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

St. John's Church at the corner of Barr Street/Montgomerie Street by the looks of it.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 0802 »

Penny Tray wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:41 am St. John's Church at the corner of Barr Street/Montgomerie Street by the looks of it.
You Could be right.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

That made me laugh :lol: . I am right. You're looking across Winton Park, the enclosure behind the west goal in view, the 'big gate' that opens on to Hill Place also in view, over the Castle Hill, to the steeple of St. John's with the Shell Mex chimneys to its right. I hope nobody corrects me now :lol: .
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Norman Reynolds
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Norman Reynolds »

I remember the old locomotive shed very well. My parents lived in Barrie Terrace (No33) from 1947 - 1967 - our back garden had the railway line running past it and the Ardrossan end of the shed across the tracks. My mother had many a fight with the railway people over the smoke blowing into our garden and in particular the soot onto the washing line and her having to do the washing all over again.

It did however introduce me to the weird and wonderful hobby of train spotting and was lucky to just be around and interested before the Beeching axe finished many of the branch lines and stem gave way to diesel.