Old Three Towns Bus Pictures

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
MANBEAR
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Old Three Towns Bus Pictures

Post by MANBEAR »

Thanks for sharing chico1968 the Leyland Titan are the ones I remember
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Chico1968 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:30 pm
meekan wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:45 am Chico looks like PD1 to me but may be PD1/2 would need to see engine to confirm
Thanks meekan, you're most probably correct as I'm not very knowledgeable about the buses themselves and generally go by the details marked on the slides/photographs purchased from the sellers.Any additional information from yourself is most welcome.
Chico,
PD1 had a 7.4 ltr engine, PD2's and PD'3's had 9.8 ltr engine, PD2 and PD3 had bull nosed, roundish fronts with radiator concealed behind plastic grille. Some PD1's were fitted with the bigger engines hence PD1/2. Given that it is described as a demonstrator suggest to me that it was indeed a PD1/2 (PD 1 with the big engine) |A friend of mine now deceased would have been able to tell us exactly what it was and it's eventual history just by the registration number. But my knowledge is just what I learned working with buses.
Chico1968
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chico1968 »

Many thanks for the info Meekan.Any information is always much appreciated.
meekan wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:11 pm
Chico1968 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:30 pm
meekan wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:45 am Chico looks like PD1 to me but may be PD1/2 would need to see engine to confirm
Thanks meekan, you're most probably correct as I'm not very knowledgeable about the buses themselves and generally go by the details marked on the slides/photographs purchased from the sellers.Any additional information from yourself is most welcome.
Chico,
PD1 had a 7.4 ltr engine, PD2's and PD'3's had 9.8 ltr engine, PD2 and PD3 had bull nosed, roundish fronts with radiator concealed behind plastic grille. Some PD1's were fitted with the bigger engines hence PD1/2. Given that it is described as a demonstrator suggest to me that it was indeed a PD1/2 (PD 1 with the big engine) |A friend of mine now deceased would have been able to tell us exactly what it was and it's eventual history just by the registration number. But my knowledge is just what I learned working with buses.
Chico1968
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chico1968 »

One of my latest aquisitions.
ImageA1 SERVICE TSD 285 LEYLAND PD3 2 ALEXANDER 1962 by Charles Gordon, on Flickr
Chico1968
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chico1968 »

Thanks Manbear.Look out for more pictures.
MANBEAR wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:51 pm Thanks for sharing chico1968 the Leyland Titan are the ones I remember
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 0802 »

Chico1968 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:32 pm One of my latest aquisitions.
ImageA1 SERVICE TSD 285 LEYLAND PD3 2 ALEXANDER 1962 by Charles Gordon, on Flickr
Looks like Ardrossan road just before the War Memorial..
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

I think that’s Meekan’s faither sitting front rhs -

Megx
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Meg wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:44 pm I think that’s Meekan’s faither sitting front rhs -

Megx
He's no on it Meg. probably in the bookies tap o Glesga Street.

Interestingly I did a search on google for reg TSD 285 because I thought it had a front entrance.It did indeed have a front entrance though was not suitable for driver operated use. Found other photos including one where it was in a scrap yard at a farmyard. It was owned by Docherty of Irvine. Docherty transferred the registration number TSD 285 to a Volvo "CITY BUS" which was based on a B10m Volvo chassis and was built at Volvo Truck and Bus in Irvine, where the "Ailsa" bus chassis was designed and built.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

"where it was in a scrap yard at a farmyard"..........Not strictly correct.the farm was used as an extra service location for Docherty of Irvine ( prior to one being built by company at Dreghorn ) once Stagecoach acquired A1 ,they advanced the acquisition of Volvo buses(which I believe Docherty's had started within the group)...That left behind buses that were to be restored/sold to collectors/parted out etc
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Thanks Stivis,
I looked into it a bit further and the farm I mentioned as a scrapyard was in fact the farm belonging to the Taits (ie AdamTait Jr. Haulage Ltd) not in fact a scrapyard. In the photo I looked at there are two deckers and a breakdown truck shown both the buses looked to me as if they were in a scrapyard. The photo was taken late 2016 and a comment from someone who worked for Docherty in 2004 is saying they haven't moved since then. A bit sad but they are probably beyond restoring. As Penny tray would say every day is a school day
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

"they are probably beyond restoring"...probably that in not the case.
That said the Haulage and the Buses are two different thing,If you want to contact the guy who has the buses..PM me and I give you his number
Chico1968
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chico1968 »

Many thanks for the info folks.