North Ayrshire Boys Brigade football team May 1973

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

North Ayrshire Boys Brigade football team May 1973

Post by down south »

This picture, complete with names, shows the trophy-winning North Ayrshire Boys Brigade football team in May 1973.

At least one of the boys, Lindsay McKinnon, came from the Three Towns ( Ardrossan most likely, since he was at Ardrossan Academy primary as well as secondary ). And there may well be others there too.
North Ayrshire football team May 1973.jpg
Susan
John G
New Poster
New Poster

Re: North Ayrshire Boys Brigade football team May 1973

Post by John G »

Do you have anymore information about this photo?
Kittywake
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kittywake »

John G and down south,
I'm fairly sure Maxwell (Max) Agnew and George Evans, both in the back row, hailed from Stevenston. In the front row Jim Bennett and Tommy McInally look and sound very familiar too and I think may have been Stevenston lads as well.

Also, I recognise the surname 'Roos' as it's a wee bit unusual, Stephen Roos might be a brother of a young golfer named Graeme Roos who I think went on to become the head Pro at West Kilbride.

Edit, it's 'Graham' Roos, not Graeme.
Last edited by Kittywake on Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

The “North Ayrshire Battalion” covered most, but not all, of what is now North Ayrshire. The coastal towns from Largs to Irvine, and inland to Kilwinning, Dalry and Dreghorn if I remember correctly.

Beith and Kilbirnie were grouped with Renfrewshire.
John G
New Poster
New Poster

Post by John G »

I'm standing next to Maxwell in the back row. I was with 4th Irvine. I think Davy Milligan was from Irvine, Stephen Roos was from West Kilbride. There were a few players from Stevenston in that squad.