North Shore of Ardrossan, 1920

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: North Shore of Ardrossan, 1920

Post by Penny Tray »

Penny Tray wrote:
Mr Seaton's obituary from the Glasgow Herald reads -

"SEATON: Suddenly at Glasgow, on 19th February 1965, HUGH REID SEATON, (Burgh Surveyor, Ardrossan), aged 61 years, of 32 Dalry Road, Ardrossan, beloved husband of FLORA HILL."
Working back from that information, I see that the Burgh Surveyor's father was also HUGH REID SEATON. His obituary in the Glasgow Herald reads -

"SEATON: Suddenly at Glasgow, on 2nd September, 1939, HUGH REID SEATON, in his 70th year, beloved father of HUGH R SEATON, 131 Barrie Terrace, Ardrossan."

And working back from that information, I see the father of a male child born circa 2/10/1869, was also a HUGH REID SEATON, Mill Square, Catrine, a town that has also previously cropped up in JustNancy's deliberations.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
JustNancy
Settling In
Settling In

Post by JustNancy »

In this photo, on the left is Hugh Reid Seaton at 32 Dalry Road, Agnes McLeod (Bell) Seaton and Hugh Gordon Seaton son of Hugh Reid Seaton.

Yes, there were 3 generations of "Hugh Reid Seaton", and they did live on Seton St.

William Richmond Seaton's father was Hugh Reid Seaton b. 1838 in Galston, Ayrshire. William also had a brother Hugh Reid Seaton b. 1869, Sorn, Ayrshire. His son and who you are referring to was Hugh Reid Seaton who died suddenly at
32 Dalry Road, Ardrossan.

I found Hugh Gordon Seaton's daughter on an Ayrshire forum and sent her off an email a couple of months ago. Her Dad, Hugh Gordon Seaton is now in his 80's. I sent her some scanned photo's that I had of David Bone Seaton and William and Agnes. Hugh Gordon Seaton had been in contact with David Bone Seaton for years until one day the correspondence suddenly stopped, sometime in the early 80's. I am guessing that was probably when David passed away as he was much older then Hugh Gordon Seaton.
When I sent the photos that I had onto Flora (Hugh's daughter) she took them to her Dad on a recent visit to Ayrshire and she said that her Dad was just amazed and "gob smacked" //funny (I love that phrase). She said I had made an old man very happy. I wasn't able to tell them what happened to David, but only that I had this old album and was trying to find out who the people were.
The above photo was sent to me via Flora from her Dad Hugh Gordon Seaton. He wasn't able to identify any of the people in the photos other then David, William and Agnes Seaton.
I do believe the people in the other photos are on the Bell family side.
JustNancy
Settling In
Settling In

Post by JustNancy »

This is an image that Flora passed along to me from her Dad Hugh Gordon Seaton, last month.
This photo is c. 1919 in Vancouver, BC. Agnes McLeod (Bell) Seaton, William Richmond Seaton, their daughter Jean Marguerite Seaton and William Richmond Seaton and the late Annie Brown (Bone) Seaton's son David Bone Seaton.

You can see how much William Richmond Seaton resembles his brother Hugh Reid Seaton in the photo from the above post.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

What I LOVE is the effort folk made years ago to look so respectable. If they could take a walk along Dockhead Street right now, they would be horrified.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
JustNancy
Settling In
Settling In

Post by JustNancy »

You're right Vivc113, The Seaton's seem to be dressed to the nine's in every photo I've seen of them.
Flora
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Flora »

Hi Nancy! My Dad has just got himself an IPad at the grand old age of 85 and discovered this site. Just a wee correction. Dad's name is Hugh Douglas Seaton and is known as Douglas. Hope you are well and love the fact that you are interested in the Seatons. Hope all is well, Flora :D
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

What a lovely post!
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.