ICI factory team with Jim Stewart, 1974

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

ICI factory team with Jim Stewart, 1974

Post by down south »

We've had a few pictures in the past of ICI works football teams, and here's another one, from July 1974. Hopefully some of you who worked at the factory at the time will recognise a few of the faces.
Ardeer factory team 1974.jpg
I see a factory team was triumphing over a Trades XI; it sounds as though there may have been some kind of internal league among the people who worked at ICI, with teams representing different groups of workers; was that the case ?

Also featured of course, an ICI player who had gone on to higher things in Jim Stewart; no doubt some of the sports experts will be able to tell us a bit more about him. It sounds there, as though he may have been still working at ICI while pursuing his football career; very surprised it was still possible at that late a date for such a notable player in the top division to still be a part-timer.

Susan
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: ICI factory team with Jim Stewart, 1974

Post by little plum »

Hi Susan, I recognise quite a few of the faces but don't remember the names.
I think the player 2nd left is Davie Gaw, 3rd left leaning back is Hugh Bull and the chap in the dark suit is Eddie Blades.
I don't recall a league format in the various sporting competitions in Ardeer, I think it was more like an annual knock out event advertised in the factory paper/magazine and various departments/sections would organise a team to enter.
As for Jim Stewart, he was still an indentured apprentice by a matter of weeks when he was called up to the Scotland squad, there was a clear directive from senior management that Jim was to be wrapped in cotton wool until after the word cup in West Germany 1974.

p.s. I would love to know what happened to all the silverware that was displayed in the recreation club house. :evil:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

I could be mistaken but I think that could be a young Jim Stirrat second from the right at the front. As for Jim Stewart, he's the current goalkeeping coach at Rangers. He was also the Scotland goalkeeping coach but I don't know if he will continue in that role under the new management team.
Colmac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Colmac »

Ah, Jim Stewart - renowned in my memory for two things.

Firstly, the goalkeeper who had to pick the ball out of the net five times when Celtic won 5-0 at St Mirren park to pip Hearts for the league title on the final day of the 985-86 season. For some reason, the passage of time has convinced people that regular keeper, Campbell Money, was between the sticks that day.

Secondly, probably the best one liner you'll ever hear at a wedding reception when reading out the cards. Former Rangers keeper, Norrie Martin recalls that when Jim was married back in the 80's, a card was read out from Middlesborough FC, stating, 'Mrs Stweart, we've tried your husband in every position - now It's your turn!'
peterm1711
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by peterm1711 »

Colmac wrote:Ah, Jim Stewart - renowned in my memory for two things.

Firstly, the goalkeeper who had to pick the ball out of the net five times when Celtic won 5-0 at St Mirren park to pip Hearts for the league title on the final day of the 985-86 season. For some reason, the passage of time has convinced people that regular keeper, Campbell Money, was between the sticks that day.

Secondly, probably the best one liner you'll ever hear at a wedding reception when reading out the cards. Former Rangers keeper, Norrie Martin recalls that when Jim was married back in the 80's, a card was read out from Middlesborough FC, stating, 'Mrs Stweart, we've tried your husband in every position - now It's your turn!'

Colmac....Your first memory was mine too when I originally saw this thread.

I was at Love Street that day on 3rd May 1986, and Jim Stewart was indeed the St Mirren goalkeeper.

I recall him holding the ball when news came through on all of the many radios around the ground of a Dundee goal that had been scored against Hearts. (To win the league, Celtic needed to beat St Mirren by 3 goals or more, and hope Hearts drew or lost against Dundee).

Well, Jim Stewart almost jumped out of his skin (that's the polite explanation :wink: ) with the roar that greeted the Dundee goal in Paisley. He was stunned and nearly dropped the ball with the fright he got with the bedlam all around him.

GEODGC....I don't think that's wee Jimmy Stirratt in the photo, although there IS a resemblance. JimMcCub agrees with me, and he's one of his closest friends.

We'll find out for sure when wee Jimmy gets home from holiday in Egypt on Wednesday :mrgreen:
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

I actually met Jim the other week after seeing the picture. I was asking him about it but he was unsure and said he would look this page up.
reidsville
Settling In
Settling In

Post by reidsville »

Thats my older brother second from right Tim Reid (ONE OF THE TWINS)Next to him 3rd from right is Kenny Barber and ist right possibly Ian Chalmers
Cheers Reidsville
peterm1711
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by peterm1711 »

reidsville wrote:Thats my older brother second from right Tim Reid (ONE OF THE TWINS)Next to him 3rd from right is Kenny Barber and ist right possibly Ian Chalmers
Cheers Reidsville
I was talking to Jimmy Stirratt the other day, and he told me that was one of the Reid twins.

He also thinks the player on the left is Bobby Beattie.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

peterm1711 wrote:I was talking to Jimmy Stirratt the other day, and he told me that was one of the Reid twins.

He also thinks the player on the left is Bobby Beattie.
I can see where that thought came from, Bobby Beattie is a smiler but he is no where near that height if I'm correct with Davie Gaw next to him.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
reidsville
Settling In
Settling In

Post by reidsville »

iGOT IT WRONG WITH A PREVIOUS POST DEFINATELY NOT BOBBY BEATTIE BOTTOM LEFT ITHINK THATS IAN CHALMERS WHO I SAID WAS BOTTM RIGHT DONALD MCRINDLE IS THE ONE BEING PRESENTED WITH THE TROPHY I WILL TRY AND FIND OTHER NAMES CHEERS REIDSVILLE
5thBeatle
Settling In
Settling In

Post by 5thBeatle »

Fourth from left is Hugh Bull
If you don't know where your going, any road will take you there.