Coronation Street Party - Ardrossan 1953

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Coronation Street Party - Ardrossan 1953

Post by Hughie »

I was asked if I could point out where this photograph was on our forum, it took me ages to find it as it wasn't in its own topic or had the word coronation in the post. See here. So for posterity here is with a unique subject heading - it will be found much easier now.

Click to enlarge - Now, can you name anyone?
Between Stanley Road and Beggs Terrace
Between Stanley Road and Beggs Terrace
ADDED: Surnames of those I recall living in Beggs Terrace at the time:
McKellar, Stevenson, Arthur, Jardine, Proudfoot, Denver, McCracken, Blackwood,Phillips, Butler, Martin, Millar, Watt, Anderson, Lynn, Kemp, Murdoch. McCallum.
Last edited by Hughie on Sun May 21, 2017 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Coronation Street Party - Ardrossan 1953

Post by bobnetau »

Glad it took you a while to find it, I thought you were going to tell me I was incompetent.
Was lovely being able to point out to our South African visitor that her grandmother and Aunt and Uncle were in the picture. She is now taking a copy back to show the rest of the family in South Africa.
Thanks for finding it for me Hugh.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Added surnames to the first post on those I recall living in Beggs Terrace at the time. The McCallum family may have already moved to Saltcoats (Hugh and Ian) but still went to Eglinton and were unrelated to me.

Another guess on my part is that the photo might have been taken from the upstairs window at No1. The McKellar household.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Hughie,
Hugh, Ian and family had already moved to Saltcoats, as you suspected. They might still be in the photo. They're related to the Blackwoods. I can't recognise anyone, though.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

hahaya2004 wrote:They're related to the Blackwoods.
Thanks, Irene. I didn't know that, I'm also related to the Blackwood family. We share the same great grandmother in Jessie McCracken. Her first husband was John Boyce and her second husband was Thomas Stirrat Blackwood - each fathered four children. More details: here
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Hughie, I haven't done much "work" on the Blackwood family, but Hugh's mother's full name was Isabella Stirrat Blackwood. Maybe you are related. Aunt Bella's father was Hugh Blackwood. Hugh is named after him.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

This sounds all very plausible, Irene. I knew both Hugh and Ian. Ian was in my class at Eglinton. Looking further back to the 1891 census the following two unrelated McCallum families are at the same tenement address.

McCallum 1891 88 Raise st Saltcoats (Ardrossan film)
Hugh / head / 31 / railway guard / b. kilwinning
Mary / wife / 27 / / b. Stevenston (Kelly)
James / son / 3 / / b. Saltcoats (my grandfather)
Thomas / son / 2months / / b. do
Maggie / dau / 10 / / b. do
Grace / dau / 6 / / b. do

Also
McCallum 1891 88 Raise Street Saltcoats
John / head / 26 / plasterer / b. Ardrossan
Maggie / wife / 26 / / b. do
Elizabeth / dau / 2 / / b. Saltcoats
Helen / dau / 9months / / b. do
Robert / bro / 22 / plasterer / b. do
Alexander / bro / 19 / gardeners lab / b. do

In later years my dad's sister Annie McCallum (a regular singer at the Douglas) was married into this other McCallum family of plasters from Melbourne Terrace Saltcoats.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Kilmarnock Herald
December 26, 1952

BAILIE OBJECTS—BUT SALVATION ARMY GET SITE FOR HALL

A recommendation by the housing committee of Ardrossan Town Council that the Salvation Army be offered a piece of ground off Busbie Drive and Beggs Terrace for the erection of a hall was opposed by Bailie J. Lindsay at last week's meeting of the Council.

The Bailie objected on the grounds that the site was not a suitable one for the purpose.
"We don't want to go back to the old days when halls were built up closes,' said the Bailie.
He received no seconder, however, and the committee's recommendation was accepted.

The first post in this topic shows the land in question.