Bill McCrindle entertains !

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Bill McCrindle entertains !

Post by down south »

Bill McCrindle needs little introduction to threetowners.

He founded the engineering business that bore his name, which was one of the most successful of local industrial enterprises in its heyday; and tried to revive the local shipbuilding industry.

He was also well known for the part he played in public life locally, for example as an Ardrossan town councillor in the early seventies.

But here's a role you may not have seen him in before; singing and playing the guitar at an entertainment put on for local old folks at the end of February 1971. He's quite a recognisable figure from other photos, but I must confess that until I read the small article about the event beside the picture in the Herald, I hadn't twigged why the guitarist in the centre looked vaguely familiar:
Bill Mc Crindle 1971.jpg
The reception was enthusiastic: " Bill McCrindle, well-known engineering contractor and member of Ardrossan Town Council, surprised and delighted the company when he played his guitar and sang with a relaxed manner and a pleasing voice . "

Also appearing at the concert ( which was put on by Saltcoats Old Peoples' Welfare Committee at the Lesser Town Hall ) , and equally well-received by the audience, were the St Mary's Players, who put on a Scots comedy called " Family Troubles " ( " well acted and a laugh a line " ) ;the Blencathra Folk Trio, led by George Forbes who also produced the play; and the three Cullimore children from Kilwinning, who I imagine will be the youngsters dressed alike in the picture.

Maybe there are some among you who might be able also to identify some of the others shown.

Susan
maggie T
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Bill McCrindle entertains !

Post by maggie T »

A think 2, of the older girls ,First Left ,is Thresa Craig, and far right ,is Magori Mailer(deceased),
Bill he was a good singer .
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

maggie T wrote:A think 2, of the older girls ,First Left ,is Thresa Craig, and far right ,is Magori Mailer(deceased),
It is Marjorie Mailer on the far right, my and Mitchie's mother's cousin. A lovely girl who had a wonderful sense of humour, she died way too young.

Meg
maggie T
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by maggie T »

Marjorie was nice person,I worked in the Cafe. Banaldi's.during summer holidays in the fifties,with her ,and Brian Maquire,and am sure maybe her brother Hugh.?
Thanks Susan for posting the picture,A think Marjorie lived in the house Next to St-Peters Chapel,thats where i remember her before she died,but could be wrong .Regard MaggieT.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Hi Maggie, yes Hugh was her brother - he also passed away a few years ago. I remember Marjorie living up in Island view for a few years but don't know if she moved from there down to the shore.

Meg
maggie T
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by maggie T »

Hi, Meg.Thanks for your Reply.
Maggie T.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

He appeared on the TV playing a strat,
westendcafe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by westendcafe »

The chap, at the back, on the left hand side is Paul Craig.
"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by ardrossanrentboy »

Bill McCrindle appears now and again at the Sunday Night jam session in Tarry's in Dalry. I believe he still lives in West Kilchuckie. Tarry's ( The Masonic & Volunteer Arms ) has for years been an every second Sunday venue, very relaxed and traditional, folk, country and old pop, novices and those wanting to learn how to play are welcome, host is Liam McCaffry.
mike mccann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mike mccann »

Marjorie married The late Arthur Robertson and indeed lived in South Crescent . Theresa Craig married my brother Peter.
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

Meg wrote:
maggie T wrote:A think 2, of the older girls ,First Left ,is Thresa Craig, and far right ,is Magori Mailer(deceased),
It is Marjorie Mailer on the far right, my and Mitchie's mother's cousin. A lovely girl who had a wonderful sense of humour, she died way too young.

Meg
Marjorie was my Mum's Bridesmaid Meg. I remember her well from my childhood. I can also remember her doing some Teacher Training when I was in 1st year at St Andrews, when she had a change of career from Pharmacy.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Hi Mitchie, I think I said I have the picture of your mum and dad's wedding (which was in the A and S herald for their golden wedding anniversary) with my very handsome cousin, Hugh as the best man and Marjorie as the bridesmade. There was another brother Jim, but dont know what happened to him. I remember my Aunt Agnes and Uncle Ben well (Marjorie's mum and dad).

Meg