Where in the three towns is this (2)

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Where in the three towns is this (2)

Post by down south »

I don't know how Meg turned into a teacher, whenever she mentions her schooldays she seems to be remembering assorted ways of bunking off... Definitely poacher turned gamekeeper . Joining the circus would have been more like it, venturing across that pipe...NO THANKS !

It never even occured to me to wonder how the burn got across the railway line; I suppose I assumed it went underneath, but of course the cutting was deeper than that.

Meanwhile, John; we had a topic quite recently on the Stevenston Canal which you must have missed; you'll find it at http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... f=2&t=6427

Susan
Last edited by down south on Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

down south wrote:I don't know how Meg turned into a teacher, whenever she mentions her schooldays she seems to be remembering assorted ways of bunking off... Definitely poacher turned gamekeeper . Joining the circus would have been more like it, venturing across that pipe...NO THANKS ! Susan
Oh Susan, there's nothing more moral than a reformed sinner!!! :amen:
mcgrattan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by mcgrattan »

2006_0907Caley0018.jpg
Photograph taken in September 2006 of the bridge and pipe. I was told that this pipe carried water from Parkhouse Reservoir for the steam locomotives at the Engine Sheds behind Barrie Terrace.

Tom McGrattan
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Meg Gordon wrote:
Hughie wrote:I'm in awe, Meg. :shock: We never attempted it 'cause when we thought about it we were already knackered as we headed back from the Saltcoats pool up Hunter Avenue. Odd looking pipe though. It looks like it's just an outer metal coating protecting other pipes and perhaps cables inside.

Never really had a problem with heights Hughie, or at least I never thought I had til George and I visited a fantastic rope bridge in Northern Ireland (http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-carrickarede" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) - I scampered down onto the bridge - walked 5 steps then FROZE. Poor George had to march me across with my eyes shut, then march back again with my eyes still shut and hanging onto him for dear life!

Meg
Meg, I had a similar experience...never thought I had a problem with heights until taking visiting relatives up to Mt. Wilson Observatory. After looking at the telescope and various interesting things, we were invited to walk around the dome (outside). It's a small metal grating and though it had a wee metal grating wall, two steps out there and my cousin and I froze. We couldn't run back inside as more people had come out, so were obliged to go on, literally with our backs to the wall of the observatory groping our way 'round, deep breathing to keep the panic at bay! :surprised: The only other time was on the cable car thingies at Disneyland..I was almost ill with panic. :lol:
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Susan,

thanks for that link. Great history.

It mentioned the master gott. I remember as a very young boy, my father talking about the groat. At least that's what it sounded like to me. I remember him saying that the reason the quarry flooded was that the groat got blocked.

JD.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

mcgrattan wrote:I was told that this pipe carried water from Parkhouse Reservoir for the steam locomotives at the Engine Sheds behind Barrie Terrace.
Thanks Tom,
That would explain the metal jacket around the pipe. There would probably be lagging under that outer shell to stop the water from freezing in the pipe during Winter. Other such pipes are be insulted naturally by the earth that covers them.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Right Hughie, you've caused me some confusion - the picture you show above is of the bridge that carried the galloway /stanley burn over the old caley railway and on its way down to the south shore. This is the bridge I have crossed via the pipe. You took this picture from the bridge that goes across from Loanhead Road. Tom's photo is of the bridge you were standing on, not the bridge you were looking at.

By the way, checked it out today and the mattress is still there :-(

Meg
georgersweir
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by georgersweir »

Meg Gordon wrote:Right Hughie, you've caused me some confusion...
To add realism to Meg's explanation, here are photos taken this afternoon at the bridges in question. The photos show (1) the burn as it approaches the bridge (from the school side); (2) the burn as it flows over the bridge; (3) view of the bridge that carries the burn (from the next bridge - which has a road); (4) the 'next' bridge (from which Hughie took the original photo); (5) looking down from the 2nd bridge toward the old railway (now with mattress and carpet).

Image ImageImage ImageImage
I'm still saving up for a signature.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Sorry I confused you, Meg. So that means I'm no in awe of you any more. :lol:
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Hughie wrote:Sorry I confused you, Meg. So that means I'm no in awe of you any more. :lol:
Phew :D

ps- the pipe across the next bridge was equally as difficult though.

Meg
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Och, will sumbdy no go an' pick up thon mattress an' carpet an' dispose o' them properly? It's just no' right! :evil:
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

mcgrattan wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:03 pm Photograph taken in September 2006 of the bridge and pipe. I was told that this pipe carried water from Parkhouse Reservoir for the steam locomotives at the Engine Sheds behind Barrie Terrace.

Tom McGrattan

Kilmarnock Herald - December 23, 1949
Ardrossan Reservoir To Be Drained

Parkhouse Reservoir, Ardrossan, which at present supplies water only to the locomotive sheds may soon be drained off and used as a controlled tip for household and other refuse. The works and planning committee of the Town Council have I given consideration to the proposal and the question has now been turned over to the water committee to investigate the possibility of its adoption.