Fleck family Stevenston & West Kilbride

For those researching family in the three towns area.
killieroots
New Poster
New Poster

Fleck family Stevenston & West Kilbride

Post by killieroots »

My Gt Gt Gt Grandparents were Thomas Fleck and Elizabeth Pettigrew. They married in Kilwinning in 1792. It is believed that Thomas was born in Kilwinning 1770, the "natural son" of James Flek and Jane Esdale. Elizabeth was born in Stevenston abt 1772.

Thomas Fleck and Elizabeth Pettigrew had 8 children born either in Stevenston or West Kilbride

Ann b1793 Stevenston married Archibald McNeil in West Kilbride in 1814
James b1795 Stevenston
Jane b1798 Stevenston
Elizabeth b abt 1799 married Neil Miller in Ardrossan in 1829
William b 1806 West Kilbride married Agnes Guthrie in Stevenston in 1830
Mary Mitchell b 1810 West Kilbride married Robert Welsh in Ardrossan in 1833 (my line)
Janet b1816 West Kilbride married William Craig in Largs in 1839
Alexander b1820 West Kilbride married Annie Caldwell

Interested to hear from anyone connected.
Thanks, David
Ian Lloyd

Re: Fleck family Stevenston & West Kilbride

Post by Ian Lloyd »

Hi,

I believe this is my wifes family. Elizabeth seems to be missing from the parish records and I think she could also have a brother John similarly absent. There is plenty of circumstantial evidence suggesting that Thomas Fleck and Elizabeth Pettigrew were his parents.

If you have seen the parish records for West Kilbride would you by chance have the transcripts as the wording from these would be useful?

Kind regards

Ian
killieroots
New Poster
New Poster

Post by killieroots »

Hello Ian,

I'm following up your post of August 2013. I'm most interested in your comment on there being plenty circumstantial evidence that Thomas Fleck and Elizabeth Pettigrew may have had a son, John, though not recorded. I've already found a Margaret born around 1817, died 1892 in Dreghorn from the same family, but birth not recorded. So nine children altogether.

A recent 4th cousin Ancestry DNA match of mine by the surname Fleck lends support to this possibility.
I'd therefore be interested in learning more in this regard.
At the same time, keen to learn more on your wife's Fleck connection.

All the best,

David
Sheena McShane

Post by Sheena McShane »

Hi all. I am descended from Thomas Fleck and Elizabeth Pettigrew through their daughter Ann. She married Archibald McNeil and their youngest son Hector McNeil married Margaret Greer. Their oldest daughter Mary married Matthew McIver. Their daughter Martha is my paternal grandmother. She married Adam Grieve from Greenock. I have been researching our family tree for a few years now and would love some information about Elizabeth Pettigrew's family
Many thanks
Sheena