McIntyre or Frew

For those researching family in the three towns area.
tidybooks
Settling In
Settling In

Re: McIntyre or Frew

Post by tidybooks »

I have sent a PM to "ellenadamson" thanking her for all research carried out. Her conclusion as that they are one and the same person but not legally done. So he used McIntyre for legal things and Frew for others. Does not help genealogists! I would really like to find out who the Frew was, maybe it will turn up sometime.

Tom
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Hi Tom.You are allowed to call yourselve whatever you want,as long as no fraud involved.At that time you could change it my deed poll,(England,not sure about Scotland)but that would have costs involved.In saying that i do believe his father was a Frew.Don't know if parents lived together ,also don't think it would have been long enough for a marriage of common law.If the 1841 Census is the right one then looks like they never lived together.Have not looked for a likely Frew .Yes i did find an Agnes married to a Patterson in the 1901 census,but i wanted to make sure you were following the right one through certificates.
There is a tree on genes stating Robert McIntyre 20.3.1836 Stevenston-24.9.1914 Dalry.No father given.

Ellen
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
tidybooks
Settling In
Settling In

Post by tidybooks »

Hi Ellen,

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking as Robert McIntyre's mother was a single parent, would she not be called in front of Kirk Session to explain the pregnancy/birth. I have heard of that in East Lothian but not sure if it was nationwide. Next question, are the Kirk Session records available locally or online?

Tom
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Hi Tidybooks,Don't know about that.That date 20.3.1836 is not right,unless it's on "Scotlandspeople" and not in the IGI.
The Vennel Local and Family History Centre located at ,
The Heckling Shop
10 Glasgow Vennel
Irvine, North Ayrshire
Telephone 01294 275059

Have Ayrshire records of all different types .See their web site.

Ellen
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Tom.

Have heard back from my contact at Genes.He has no info on Birth of Robert McIntyre.He took info from Marriage details of Robert and Mary,and death details of Margaret McIntyre.I can only suggest what others in your circumstances do ,follow the Maternal side only.I can only suggest they might be a clue in his offsprings middle names.I can't see that Robert was baptised ,like many other children whose parents could not afford to do so.

Ellen
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Tom

Have you checked both these poor relief records.

McIntyre Robert 16 Stevenston 1575 2170877-1
McIntyre Robert 16 Stevenston 429 2170886-2

Ellen
tidybooks
Settling In
Settling In

Post by tidybooks »

HI Ellen,

If weather stays OK, will visit the Vennel at Irvine this week, to check these records.

Tom
tidybooks
Settling In
Settling In

Post by tidybooks »

Hi Ellen,

I checked on Worldconnect for Robert McIntyre and it resulted in Robert McIntyre 20.3.1836 records. This is not my Robert McIntyre although some managed to get my Mary Weir mixed up with them.

I have the 09/09/1864 MC for Robert McIntyre and Mary Weir, it says both were illegitimate and advised the new marriages that there mothers had entered since. On the MC, Robert McIntyre and Mary could not write, he was a 23 yo collier from Stevenston she was an 18 yo from Saltcoats (Stevenston). He would have birth around 1841 and she would be born around 1846.

Tom
tidybooks
Settling In
Settling In

Post by tidybooks »

Hi All,

It is a long time since I started this topic, but can tell you that I have found the answer. The Ayr Sheriff Court Paternity Cases have been put online recently, July 2017. I did a search on surname McIntyre, and Ayr in the court box only.
Link is
http://www.scottishindexes.com/courtsearch.aspx

Here is one of the results,

Pursuer Margaret McIntyre, Townhead, Stevenston
Defender Robert Frew Junior, Miner or Coal Hewer, Kilwinning
Year of Child's Birth 1839
Year Extract Isssued 1846
Sheriff Court Ayr
County Ayrshire
NRS Reference SC6/7/6 p. 844

So found Robert McIntyre or Frew's natural father, the case was not held until 1846, when young Robert was 7. Also being called Robert Frew Junior, suggests his father maybe Robert Frew Senior. So will do some searching on the census.

Tom Buchanan