Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald letter 19/5/14 2 Australia

For those researching family in the three towns area.
A Whiteford
New Poster
New Poster

Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald letter 19/5/14 2 Australia

Post by A Whiteford »

I posted a while ago trying to find connections in the local area. My ggg grandfather was James Whiteford who married Jean/Jane Wylie of Stewarton Ayrshire in Campbeltown in 1849. They migrated to Australia in 1852.

I have since tracked Jane/Jean to her birth in Stewarton Ayrshire in 1822. She was the youngest daughter of Thomas Wylie, a farmer and Jean Morton.

I have received a digital photo of a letter sent by Wm Guthrie an editor of the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald. The letter dated 19 May 1914 was to my g grandfather, also a James Whiteford, who was trying to get a book (no details of name of the book given).

William Guthrie wrote back to advise he'd communicated with Mrs Morton, the wife of the late Hugh Morton and that she would be in touch to organise to send the book or provide details of where it might be found.

I am interested in finding out whether the newspaper still exists and whether any records of such correspondance might still exist. Long shot, but hey if I don't ask I won't know.

Does the name Hugh Morton ring any bells?

Thanks all

Anne Whiteford