Old Ship Photos

For those researching family in the three towns area.
Jayjay1
Settling In
Settling In

Old Ship Photos

Post by Jayjay1 »

Forgive me if this is a general posting rather than Genealogy.
My G. Grandfather, James McMILLAN, was a ship’s captain working from Saltcoats and Ardrossan. He had an interest in the ships ‘Closeburn’, ‘Dalswinton’, ‘Dunscore’ and possibly ‘Algeria’.
I have found a picture and a little information on the web about ‘Closeburn’, but none of the others. James died in 1882 leaving two 64ths ownership of ‘Dalswinton’ and ‘Dunscore’, both of Glasgow Village Line.
Is there a local repository of maritime information that may not generally be on the web?
Many thanks.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Old Ship Photos

Post by Penny Tray »

Jayjay1,

If you haven't already done so you might wish to have a look at https://www.clydeships.co.uk/. There are photographs there of the CLOSEBURN, and I think the DALSWINTON may have been launched as the CITY OF BERLIN on 3/10/1864; and the DUNSCORE launched as the CITY OF VIENNA on 15/3/1866. They also list two ships that were launched by the name ALGERIA, one on 12/7/1870 and the other on 6/10/1891.

You may also have picked up the following references by word searching this site. I'll leave it to you to decide which, if any, refer to your Captain McMillan: -

GLASGOW HERALD
18 MARCH 1853

AT ARDROSSAN FOR QUEBEC

The well-known fast sailing first class barque WOLFVILLE, Captain James McMillan, to sail 5th April.

This ship has all her heavy freight engaged, and will take a limited number of passengers, for which there is excellent accommodation.

For freight or passage apply to THOMAS C. ORR, 20 Union Street, Glasgow.

GLASGOW HERALD
3 JUNE 1879

MARRIAGE

STIRRAT – McMILLAN: At Dockhead Street, Saltcoats, on the 30th ultimo, by the Rev. Doctor Kirk, of Edinburgh, Alexander Stirrat, chief officer, to Kate, third daughter of the late Captain James McMillan.

GLASGOW HERALD
7 DECEMBER 1880

DEATH

McMILLAN: SUDDENLY AT 6 Derby Terrace, Glasgow, Jessie McCready, wife of Captain James McMillan, late of Ardrossan.

GLASGOW HERALD
26 JANUARY 1882

DEATH

McMILLAN: At 119 Sandyford Place, Glasgow, on the 24th instant, Captain James McMillan, late of Ardrossan.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.