Incomers to the three towns and Scotland

For those researching family in the three towns area.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Incomers to the three towns and Scotland

Post by Hughie »

Glasgow Citizen
August 30, 1845

The Harvest - Irish Reapers.

The harvest has made greater progress during the last three days, which have been remarkably fine, than for a fortnight previous. Irish reapers are daily arriving in great numbers. The Glow-Worm and Fire-Fly steamers from Belfast to Ardrossan, have this week brought over already upwards of 3000. Yesterday, upwards of 1000 were brought from Derry by the Isabella Napier, and some of the Irish boats into the Clyde have brought over at a single trip, we are informed, 1500.

Not fewer than from 1200 to 1500 Irish reapers have during the week passed through this city, all of whom have found their way into the Lothians, where the harvest is commencing, cither by the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway, or by the Forth & Clyde Canal.

The number of repealers thus imported have had some effect upon Concilliation Hall, where the meetings are becoming "small by degrees." The fares from Belfast to Glasgow are only 2s.61., and the arrivals are increasing daily.

The Repeal Association was an Irish mass membership political movement set up by Daniel O'Connell in 1830 to campaign for a repeal of the Acts of Union of 1800 between Great Britain and Ireland.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Incomers to the three towns and Scotland

Post by stivis »

I believe they came across due to the potato famine in Ireland around the early 1840s, which really was caused by the English, unfortunately they only got a small break as the Scottish Potato famine was about to kick off
I would say that while most think of Glen Sannox as a boat, I think of it as an area in Arran where a runrig type of farming was practiced badly and the result was the Levellers cleared the area of both the area and people ( most left the country to America and Canada )and parked sheep on the area as it was cheaper to have sheep than farmers trying to make a living,and paying rent to the landlord.
Again the English (for it was them) showed not a clue as to farming

I managed that in two paragraphs It's about three chapters in "The History of Scottish People" Thinking about it ,It may not have been that book because it only went to 1830
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Yes, and many of those incomers no doubt would have been descendants of the Scots and English who were part of the plantation into Ulster during the 1600s by the English government. There's a good possibility that's how my Irish born ancestor, Thomas McCallum and his siblings arrived in Scotland around that time.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

I often wonder why the English, as a group, are disliked by so many Scots, Irish and French, and many others. No doubt through the ages they have built up a resentment to their actions. The Scots and the Irish however are usually welcomed wherever they go???
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by exile »

I lived in the USA for a few years and discovered that for most Americans,there really wasn't much of a distinction between Scots and Irish in their minds - they were just lumped together as "Celtic".
A few years back I read a book by an Irish historian who was looking at the impact of this Celtic diaspora on the world: why did the Scots contribute so much, building whole countries like Canada, New Zealand, and Australia, while the Irish essentially contributed hee-haw?
I can still repeat his conclusion from memory: "Sooner or later, the Irish instinct to see life in a comic light becomes irresistible, and all worldly ambition falls away before it".
My old Irish grandad to a T.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

meekan wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:41 am I often wonder why the English, as a group, are disliked by so many Scots, Irish and French, and many others. No doubt through the ages they have built up a resentment to their actions. The Scots and the Irish however are usually welcomed wherever they go???
You can go anywhere with a good Scots accent,

If you travel about you find Canadians,Austrailian and New Zealanders with their countries flag and emblems, In order to not be taken to be either Americans or English
My son has travelled all over the world, done a couple of european tours, In each case when trying to talk to people ALL couldn't "speak english" till he explained he was Scottish,
The USA In which English appears to be a foreign language , when he explained his nationality , he was met with "I'm quarter Scot" up to a thirty second Scots
Americans and English seem to be the most dislike people on the planet, Probably the American are top of the tree
Fundamentally they both have the greatest belief, that they are superior and are bullies, Britain would publish in the Times they were going to send a GunBoat and the country to receive the threat would capulate, the Americans simply uped the anti a few stealth bombers and a load of Raptors
The UK is a third rate nation, England just can't accept that, If you look at the daily briefings there is the Union Flag folded in such a way that it promotes or gives the illusion of St.George ( I am told that is not a natural position that the flag would fall into, but is pinned)

1845 ? that was 25 years after the what was termed the Radical War or the Radical Rising
http://archive.vn/6ZlzZ

The Scots are radicals, the Welsh I believe feel more uneasy with the situation, now there is no mining and the demise of the steelwork(s)
The English are simply blinded by BS

That radicalism (or if you like attitude) made Scots welcome in the countries that settled in .The English in contrast thought it was their right
Yes that is a sweeping generalisation,BUT it's not wrong

That might sound anti-english, It's not ............I don't care what nationality/colour or religion anyone is ,
the chinese have a saying which traslated mean "there is good and bad in everyone" really the Ying/Yang repeated
I would have difficult in finding the former in any Tory
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

I was in a town called Zakapni (not sure about spelling) in Poland and was visiting a local outdoor market. I stopped to look at a stall selling tools, and asked the price of a particular item. The stall holder with a dour expression on his face said “you English” to which I replied proudly “no I am Scottish“. Well talk about night turning into day his expression changed completely and he came from behind his stall to shake my hand. He even took me behind the stall poured out a couple of fruit flavoured alcohol drinks and we drank a toast to each others countries. Like long lost pals.