Ardeer worker

For those researching family in the three towns area.
lizziemac

Ardeer worker

Post by lizziemac »

I am trying to trace my grandmother, Hellen / Ellen / Helen Newton who was listed as a dynamite worker aged 17 in the 1911 Census. I don't know why she moved down to Saltcoats from Glasgow for work and wondered if Nobel did some recruiting in that area. I know she boarded with the adopted mother of another dynamite worker, Isabella Lee Arbuckle.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Ardeer worker

Post by Penny Tray »

If you haven't done so already you might want to check the Newton/Arbuckle BDM intimations in the following link:-

The death of Thomas Ritchie NEWTON caught my eye, which may or may not be connected with your enquiry:

In the 21 June 1918 edition of the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald the death in a French Hospital of a THOMAS RITCHIE NEWTON, a "chum of K. Greig," was intimated. The following week, 28 June 1918, two intimations were made, indicating that Thomas was killed in action - one by Mrs Wilson Gladstone, a sister; and another by Mrs Sarah ARBUCKLE, a grandmother.

This suggests that there was maybe a NEWTON/ARBUCKLE family connection locally???

http://www.ayrshire-roots.co.uk/ash.php
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
James mccreadie

Re: Ardeer worker

Post by James mccreadie »

Hi lizziemac
Helen NEWTON married Patrick NOONAN at Old Ardrossan (now Saltcoats) in 1919 (source ScotlandsPeople). Their marriage extract will detail each party's parentage and other minutiae.

In 1970, Helen NOONAN died at Saltcoats, age 77 years (source ScotlandsPeople). The "Informant" recorded on her death extract MAY be a relative (child, etc).

Patrick NOONAN, husband of died probably mid-late November 1947. His death was carried in the 28 November 1947 edition of the A&S Herald. Patrick was described as "husband of Helen NOONAN of 77 Raise Street, Saltcoats", died "at an Infirmary". Helen's was the SOLE Intimation & there was no record of "loved father of ....." or similar to indicate children.

However, that said, a William C NOONAN was born in Stevenston during 1934. Was he Patrick and Helen's son? Remember Helen would have been 38 years old in 1934 and perhaps a little too old for child-birth. However, I can locate NO more NOONANs born in or around Saltcoats during 1919-1939.

Good luck in your search.