Golden wedding : McNamara

For those researching family in the three towns area.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Golden wedding : McNamara

Post by down south »

Again I thought this might possibly be of use to family historians.

It celebrates the anniversary of Ardrossan couple Mr and Mrs Edward McNamara in June 1970.
McNamara golden wedding.jpg
The text reads as follows :

It was a trip down memory lane for Ardrossan couple Mr and Mrs Edward McNamara when on the anniversary of their golden wedding they went back to visit the church they were married in 50 years ago.

Mr and Mrs McNamara, of 15 Broadway, Ardrossan, were married in St Mary's RC Church, Pollokshaws, Glasgow, on June 18th, 1920, and on the same date the happy couple travelled back to where their story began so many years ago.

Mrs McNamara told the Herald, " I suppose it was a bit sentimental, but it's what we wanted to do. We have been very happy, and we felt it was right to go back to the church where we were married.

" When we arrived at the church and saw that nothing had changed in all those years, it brought everything back to us so very clearly. We are delighted now we went to Glasgow ."

After the wedding, Mr and Mrs McNamara returned to Ardrossan to set up home. Mrs McNamara had met her husband, who was born in Ardrossan, when we came to Saltcoats.

Over the years a family of four sons and four daughters were born to the couple, and today the number in their family has increased by 20 grandchildren; the latest, a baby girl, being born one day before the golden wedding anniversary.

Mr McNamara worked most of his life in Ardrossan dockyard.

Susan

Re: Golden wedding : McNamara

Post by Guest »

Thank you so much for sharing this article - it's about my granny and papa McNamara. I'm one of the twenty grandchildren they had at the time of their golden wedding. Another few came along after that! :)
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Golden wedding : McNamara

Post by Hughie »

I remember the family home at the top of Broadway, just before Castle Road - next to what was Breckenridge's fish and chip shop. I didn't know the family personally as they were all older than me. I do recall a unique car parked outside, perhaps a Javelin? That would have been around the mid-1950s. A respected local family.