Descendants of Thomas Haldane and the Lees, Ardrossan

For those researching family in the three towns area.
Deirdre
New Poster
New Poster

Descendants of Thomas Haldane and the Lees, Ardrossan

Post by Deirdre »

I came across the threetowners website when I did a search on the Internet for Thomas Haldane, aerated water manufacturer, Ardrossan. This led me to a discussion on the Lees and their lemonade factory in Ardrossan by threetowners members, including an entry by Helen Lee, daughter of Victor Lee.

Thomas Haldane came from Glasgow and was married to Margaret McCallum (born Greenock, 1857), daughter of Hugh McCallum (born in Glendaruel, Argyll, in 1824) and Margaret Cameron (born in Glenorchy, Argyll, about 1832). Their daughter, Margaret Cameron Haldane (born in Glasgow in 1879) married James Lee in Ardrossan in 1902. They had at least four children:

Thomas Haldane Lee (born 1903) - married Maggie Crawford Martindale, Largs,1926
Margaret Cameron McCallum Lee (born 1907) - married Duncan McLeish McGreish, Glasgow, 1924
James Lee (born 1910)
John Lee

I am descended from Christina McCallum (born 1857), a sister of Margaret McCallum and would be interested to know something about the Lee descendants.

Many thanks if anyone can help. Deirdre
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Descendants of Thomas Haldane and the Lees, Ardrossan

Post by Penny Tray »

Deirdre,

Apologies if you are already of aware of this but the marriage of Margaret Cameron Haldane and James Lee was intimated in the 29 August 1902 edition of the Ardrossan & SALTCOATS Herald. This and subsequent family intimations are present in the following link:-

http://www.ayrshire-roots.co.uk/ash.php
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Deirdre
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Deirdre »

Penny

Many thanks for the recommendation. I am looking forward to having a good look at the newspaper site you suggest.
Cameron Lee
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by Cameron Lee »

I am Cameron Andrew Hamilton Lee, youngest son of Samuel Hamilton Lee, who was the youngest son of John Edward Lee and Margaret Hamilton.
As far as I am able to discover, John and Margaret Lee came to Scotland/Ayrshire in the late 1870s from Ireland via Liverpool. Here their eldest son, Fredrick (or Frederick) Lee was born in 1875. My father, Samuel Lee, was born in 1895 in Ardrossan. Between these two brothers, other brothers and sisters were born. I remember only two of them:Maggie and Harry on our annual visits to Ardrossan as a wee lad with my parents.
I am very keen to hear from anyone who can help me fill in the many gaps in the Lee family ancestral knowledge.
I have lost touch with my family in Scotland and would be very pleased to renew contact.