Hunter Genealogy

For those researching family in the three towns area.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Hunter Genealogy

Post by sweet caroline »

Thanks Ray,I have given the details for this site to the owner of the David Gilmour Hunter tree.

SC

Edit-23 Feb.http://www.troonayrshirefhs.org.uk/

Has a book on Monumental Inscriptions for St.Quivox .Also have C Ds of burials around that area .

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

This is the 1841 Census for my 3rd GGrandfather.

Name: Matthew Laughlin
Estimated birth year: abt 1801
Where born: Ayrshire, Scotland

Civil Parish: St Quivox County: Ayrshire
Address: Elba Street Occupation: Sawer
Parish Number: 612
Household Members: Name Age
Matthew Laughlin 40
Mary Laughlin 4
James Laughlin 20
John Laughlin 15
Andrew Laughlin 14
Robert Laughlin 10
Mary Laughlin 2

Small World :D

SC

Edit- //funny
1841Census
Name: David Hunter
Estimated birth year: abt 1761
Where born: Ayrshire, Scotland

Civil Parish: St Quivox County: Ayrshire
Address: Elba Street Occupation: Weaver
Parish Number: 612
Household Members: Name Age
David Hunter 80
Janet Hunter 65
Jane Hunter 40
James Hunter 25
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
Gordon Hunter

Post by Gordon Hunter »

The Hunter's of St Quivox (1778-1819 were there for a generation only. David Hunter, the father was born at Barassie Miln, Parish of Dundonald on 1758. He married Ann Gilmour probably in Ardrossan Church in 1777-1778 and then got employment at High Thorneyflatt farm, Parish of St Quivox. Three of his sons emigrated to P.A. and one, John went back to his roots, that is to Troon, Parish of Dundonald. Robert, the 5th son went to the village of Dundonald. I am the gr,gr,gr grandson of John.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Hi Gordon, Welcome ,and thanks for taking this post further back .If you can add more info ,it would be appreciated .Was Ann Gilmour born in Ardrossan?

SC
Gordon Hunter

Post by Gordon Hunter »

sweet caroline wrote:Hi Gordon, Welcome ,and thanks for taking this post further back .If you can add more info ,it would be appreciated .Was Ann Gilmour born in Ardrossan?

SC
I live about a five minute walk from where Barassie Miln used to stand. It was demolished about 100 years ago. Ann Gilmour was indeed born in Ardrossan. The sad thing is there are no Ardrossan marriage entries for that particular time. Barassie is in the north of the town of Troon, Parish of Dundonald. About 4 miles north is the town of Irvine. For centuries Irvine has a festival in the late summer called Marymass. David Hunter, born in 12/06/1758 at Barassie would have went to that festival, about a 1 hour and a half walk. Ann Gilmour would have went from Ardrossan to there as well, and that is exactly where they would have met. About ten months later a child was born. David had three sons who went to PA. around 1811. David Gilmour, James and Samuel. David Gilmour came back and later emigrated in 1819. I believe he was in the Scots Greys at the battle of Waterloo. I do not know where you live but if it is not local I will share with you everything you want to know. The Hunter family have lived in the Parish of Dundonald for centuries and were milners. David Hunter's father was a John Hunter who I believe was married twice. He was married firstly to Margaret Petticrue on 22/02/1734. She died in the early 1750's, and shortly after married Janet Miller, with whom he had a further three sons. He lived at Schullochmiln, Loans, Parish of Dundonald, and then moved to Barassie Miln around 1757/58.
Gordon Hunter

Post by Gordon Hunter »

sweet caroline wrote:Hi Gordon, Welcome ,and thanks for taking this post further back .If you can add more info ,it would be appreciated .Was Ann Gilmour born in Ardrossan?

SC
Yes she was
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Hi Gordon ,that's interesting, wonder if your Hunters are connected to those at Bourtreehill.

The Hunter family papers as published by the Scottish Record Society include 16th - 17th century references to Bourtreehill in connection with a family of Lynns who were the Lords of Lynn in nearby Dalry, the location also of Lynn Glen and Lynn Falls. Another mention of the Lynns in Bourtreehill can be found in a 1608 testament. The record of Lynns of Bourtreehill is as follows: On 7 Nov 1522, Robert Hunter resigned lands of Highlees [Dundonald] to John Lyn of Boutrehill

My 4th GGF was William Weir 1727 Highbee(Highlee?)died 17 Dec.1808 East Highlees. He also married an Ardrossan lass Elizabeth Steele c1730,married 2 Aug 1754.

Also interesting to find out how the name places Lynn came to be in Dalry.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Just south of Dundonald castle lies this lovely property. Its name has been thought to refer to a nearby religious site, with "highlees" being a corruption of the word "holy." However, since the word "lea" is the Scots word for grassland or pasture and these fields crest high above the surrounding countryside, a much more reasonable view is that the name is a rendering of the descriptive language "high leas." Highlees was owned by the Lords of Lynn, also known as the Lynns of that Ilk, for a period of at least 200 years beginning about 1452. In that year, Andrew Lynn chartered Highlees to William Hunter of Arnele. It appears that Hunter was a vassal of the Lynns since the charter grants Highlees to Hunter "for services rendered and to be rendered." From that time until the eighteenth century, whenever chiefship passed in either family, the charter was renewed by the then chief of the Lynns of that Ilk. The present-day farm is seated behind the crest of Highlees Mount

SC
Gordon Hunter

Post by Gordon Hunter »

sweet caroline wrote:Just south of Dundonald castle lies this lovely property. Its name has been thought to refer to a nearby religious site, with "highlees" being a corruption of the word "holy." However, since the word "lea" is the Scots word for grassland or pasture and these fields crest high above the surrounding countryside, a much more reasonable view is that the name is a rendering of the descriptive language "high leas." Highlees was owned by the Lords of Lynn, also known as the Lynns of that Ilk, for a period of at least 200 years beginning about 1452. In that year, Andrew Lynn chartered Highlees to William Hunter of Arnele. It appears that Hunter was a vassal of the Lynns since the charter grants Highlees to Hunter "for services rendered and to be rendered." From that time until the eighteenth century, whenever chiefship passed in either family, the charter was renewed by the then chief of the Lynns of that Ilk. The present-day farm is seated behind the crest of Highlees Mount

SC
Very interesting. My gr gr gr gr grandfather John Hunter, son of John Hunter and Margaret Barbour was born In Haillies (High Lees) in 30/03/1712
Drumclog1679
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Drumclog1679 »

sweet caroline wrote:Hi Gordon ,that's interesting, wonder if your Hunters are connected to those at Bourtreehill.

The Hunter family papers as published by the Scottish Record Society include 16th - 17th century references to Bourtreehill in connection with a family of Lynns who were the Lords of Lynn in nearby Dalry, the location also of Lynn Glen and Lynn Falls. Another mention of the Lynns in Bourtreehill can be found in a 1608 testament. The record of Lynns of Bourtreehill is as follows: On 7 Nov 1522, Robert Hunter resigned lands of Highlees [Dundonald] to John Lyn of Boutrehill

My 4th GGF was William Weir 1727 Highbee(Highlee?)died 17 Dec.1808 East Highlees. He also married an Ardrossan lass Elizabeth Steele c1730,married 2 Aug 1754.

Also interesting to find out how the name places Lynn came to be in Dalry.
We are not
Drumclog1679
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Drumclog1679 »

Ray Hunter wrote:Hello: I am looking for information on James Hunter, married to Janet Campbell. They are listed in the Stevenston 1819 census, with a son named David. I believe they left the UK on a ship called the Brig Rising Sun in 1821, when James was listed as age 29, Janet was listed as age 22, while David was 3. They settled in Antis Twp, Blair County, Pennsylvania. James is my GGGGGF. Any information would be appreciated.

Ray Hunter

huntersofa2@aol.com
My gr gr grandfathers three brothers left Ayrshire about 1811 and settled in Antis Township. David Gilmour Hunter, James Hunter and Samuel Hunter. John and Robert stayed in Ayrshire
Drumclog1679
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Drumclog1679 »

sweet caroline wrote:Just found a good tree .From main line .
David Gilmour Hunter

Birth 23 Oct 1783 in St Quivox, Ayrshire, Scotland
Death 14 Mar 1863 in Antis, Blair, Pennsylvania, USA

Father David Hunter ,Mother Ann Gilmour

Edit-Birth: 1783
Ayr, Scotland
Death: unknown

Burial:
Logan Valley Cemetery
Bellwood
Blair County
Pennsylvania, USA