Carmichael Family

For those researching family in the three towns area.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Carmichael Family

Post by sweet caroline »

HaHaya 2004.Only proof is the record in the Herald.

sweet caroline
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
bertcarmichael
New Poster
New Poster

Post by bertcarmichael »

I have just found out about Albert Carmichael 32075, my friend who has began helping me on this quest has informed me that ALbert Carmichael is Angus Carmichael.

This is what my friend has found out so far.

""Pte Angus Carmichael, 30275, died as a result of wounds received in action at the village of Vichte in Belgium whilst serving with the 12th (Service) Battalion (Ayr and Lanarkshire Yeomanry), Royal Scots Fusiliers. The Canadian Newfoundland Regiment had captured the railway station two days earlier and the 12th RSF led the attack on the village on the 20th October 1918. Albert's remains were laid to rest in the Vichte Military Cemetery in plot I, row B, grave number 24. Angus had been born at Tarbert, Argyllshire in 1879 and was by trade a Grocer. He enlisted in 1915 to the RSF, giving his address as 13 Scotia Street, Glasgow and had previously served in the Militia during the Boer War.

I know the Christian name is different, but this happens alot. This is the only man with this surname with that date of death and that service number. He has 21 pages of service papers (which is unusual itself - when men died, their papers were normally destroyed) and these should confirm his next of kin etc. Will get a look over the next couple of days. You can also cross refer the address given with the 1901 and 1911 Census of Scotland, this will also give next of kin.""
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Thats correct Bert. Albert James Carmichael born Newzealand ,may be ,or not the one in the 1911 Census .Have you had a look.It could be him although he signed up in Glasgow .Died 26 Sep 1918
,but news could just have reached them around the end of October as he was a Prisoner,to be put in the papers 1/11/1918.As i said you really need that report in the A&S Herald.

sweet caroline

What age was William when he died in Ireland
Edit- They usual say if it is an Alias in the CWGC ,i don't thing it is Angus.
Although you have the names of William Carmichael and Mary Stockman,you really still need the certs,for a start age at death/ marrige should be on them.
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
bertcarmichael
New Poster
New Poster

Post by bertcarmichael »

Good Morning all,

First of all thank you for the help on the issues of tracking down family members. My cousin has sent me a lot of information and now I can confirm the following.

Albert Carmichael, Army Number 27797, Died 26th September 1918.

Now just to find out his wifes details see how I get one.

Bert
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

I found this marriage on ScotlandsPeople:
1916 Albert James Carmichael and Mary B. Wilson, married Blythswood Glasgow City/Lanark.

If this is the correct marriage, you can get some of his wife's details from the marriage certificate.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
bertcarmichael
New Poster
New Poster

Post by bertcarmichael »

Thank you to all who help me with information about my family history.
After a lot of digging I can confirm 100% that the Albert Carmichael from New Zealand is my Great Grandfather. The reason he was born is New Zealand was his mother and father were spirit merchants which explains this.

My cousin has found out some more information and I have been able to get a copy of his Army card.

IS there any decendants around the area still?
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

If it's still of interest to anyone, I've come across a newspaper cutting which says: -

“Private Albert Carmichael, Scottish Rifles (Cameronians), is officially reported to have died of wounds in a casualty clearing station on 26 September. He joined the Army in August, 1916, and from November of the same year he served at the front.

Prior to joining up he was employed in Nobel’s factory for over seven years.

He leaves a widow and two children, who reside in Boglemart Street, Stevenston.”

The above newspaper cutting contains a photograph of Albert which I have posted in the "WORLD WAR I GALLERY."
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.