visit to my ancestors

For those researching family in the three towns area.
clockie
Settling In
Settling In

visit to my ancestors

Post by clockie »

I am coming to Ayrshire in early August for one week and hope to find about some of my McLauchlan ancestors' lives etc. My 3xgreat Grandfather, John, farmed at Caddell Farm from about 1841 and his son, Robert carried on after his death. Robert married Barbara Dale Dickie of Girthill Farm in 1874 and this family left Scotland for England around 1890.
I do know that my 4x grandfather was born in Stevenston and was another John. He married Janet White and his son, John married Janet Spiers of West Kilbride.

What I would appreciate is suggestions as to where to go find information about this family. Like so many Scottish families many of them emigrated and I am pleased to say I have contacted several of over the years I have been researching. We are all proud of our scottish ancestry and interested in anything about them.

Thanks
Clockie
McLachlanTree!
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Re: visit to my ancestors

Post by McLachlanTree! »

Hello Clockie

My 3 x Great Grandfather is John McLachlan who farmed at Caddell Farm, he and my 3 x Great grandmother Janet Spiers had 10 children I believe. My 2 x Great Grandfather being John McLachlan who married Helen Morton . They lived in Darvel. Have you tried Ancestry.co.uk as I have found information of the McLachlans and their wives going quite a long way back. We are related somehow but I cannot work out what the relation actually would be called!! Is Robert , brother of my 3 x great grandfather, your 3 x great grandfather? Robert died in Essex.
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: visit to my ancestors

Post by Jim McCreadie »

It appears the second forename of Robert, husband of Barbara Dale DICKIE, was “Speir” (occasionally seen as “Spier”). The “Speir / Spier” name was common around West Kilbride, the next town north of Ardrossan, at that time.
Other DICKIEs of Girthill Farm, Ardrossan, were Agnes who married James REID in early 1860, and Mary who married Robert Graham STURGEON in mid-1880.

Search here for local BDM Notices: http://www.ayrshire-roots.co.uk/

Good luck.
Q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'30"E

"What language are you talking in now? It appears to be Bo**ocks."