The ... What are you doing or thinking right now - Topic

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: The ... What are you doing or thinking right now - Topic

Post by brian f »

Hughie wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:11 am Hot today - 35 degrees. Walked to nearby Woolworths and stepped into the liquor shop cool room to see what was on offer. It was so beautiful in there, never bought anything but it cooled me down for my walk back home. :roll:
You better sink a few of your cuald wans Hughie in that heat ... 8)

I remember getting told as a very young boy that it it is boiling in Australia at xmas and that people eat xmas dinner on the beach. That used to fascinate me, just could not work it out :roll:
Enjoy your summer- Aussie members. :D
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Aw well, tree and decorations down and back to work tomorrow.......... needs must :(
Those wimin were in the nip.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

bonzo wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:01 pm Aw well, tree and decorations down and back to work tomorrow.......... needs must :(
Always leave ours until Epiphany.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by exile »

morag wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:22 pm
bonzo wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:01 pm Aw well, tree and decorations down and back to work tomorrow.......... needs must :(
Always leave ours until Epiphany.
Someone wrote on 3T last week about Miss Wade at St Michael's, and this post reminded me that she once read aloud to us the Christmas traditions as recorded by the writer Hilaire Belloc in the 1920s. I just found it online, and here's the relevant passage:

You must not think that Christmas Day feast being over, the season is at an end, for in this house is kept up the full custom of the Twelve Days, so that 'Twelfth Day', the Epiphany (of January 6th), still has its full and ancient meaning as when Shakespeare wrote. The green is kept in place, and not a leaf of it must be moved until Epiphany morning, but not a leaf of it must remain, nor the Christmas Tree either, by Epiphany evening.

Until very recently, I couldn't understand how you could have a last fling Twelfth Night feast if all the decorations came down on Twelfth Day, but I learned that in olden times, the day of the week was reckoned to begin at sundown, so their Twelfth Night would be to us still the evening of January 5th.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Had a nice day and a BBQ with family at our local holiday caravan park, where they are on Summer holidays. Masses of holiday makers with views across Port Phillip Bay to Melbourne 25 miles away. Thought those unknown folks helped to balance the image. :)

glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Almost five years ago one of my grandaughters friends emigrated to Sydney with her boyfriend. Later this year they will become residents of Australia. They have just gone back after coming home for Christmas, and he was telling us that just last month he was stopped for speeding on the motorway, he was doing 80 kilometres per hour, but there were road works and the speed limit was down to 40. Unfortunately he did not see the 40 mph sign, and the Australian police flagged him down. Instead of contesting the mistake, he admitted it and was given a 2,500 dollar fine and his licence was withdrawn for 6 months. A wee bit harsh Hughie?
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Glenshena, you can't blame hughie :lol:
Those wimin were in the nip.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

No of course not but he may be able to explain if this is normal practice in Australia. What's it like in GB?
In Switzerland they are very severe but this case beats anything I have heard.
Just seems to be a bit exagerated. Not as if he has been drinking or anything.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

glenshena wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:11 pm No of course not but he may be able to explain if this is normal practice in Australia.
:think: I think there are probably a one or two things he left out in his story. I find it hard to believe such a fine and ban would have been given for this. No doubt he must have a very bad history of driving offences and probably lost all his demerit points.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Glensheena, As Hughie said there's probably a bit more to the story. As a rule though depending which state or territory you are driving in there is different rules especially at Christmas, Easter etc.
Double demerit points are in force over the holiday period. So if you are driving at 81km in a 40 zone then you normally lose 8 points and an automatic 6 month suspension with a fine over 1,000 dollars. So double that and you're well over the 10 point limit.
Qld is different there's no double demerit points over public holidays but if you get fined for the same thing in 12 months then double points come into force.
Road works are pretty sensitive because of workers being killed or hurt by speeding drivers. Margb.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Thanks Margb. That explains most of it, I'll try and find out more when my Grandaughter returns from holiday later this month. Thanks again for your information. Very helpful.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Just had an online shopping delivered by Morrisons. A few bottles of South African cider and 3 Mothers pride Scottish plain bread included. How does that song go.. ? Tonights going to be a good night . :wink: