The ... What are you doing or thinking right now - Topic

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: The ... What are you doing or thinking right now - Topic

Post by glenshena »

So sad to see that another three of my favourite shops in Saltcoats are selling up. Namely MacKays, now M&Co, and Crawfords card shop, both in Dockhead Street, which I have frequented since the 1960's as far as I can remember. But to see Avanti's in Hamilton closing too is a real shame. They served the best coffee in Saltcoats. The owner, Vanna, such a nice person, knew all her customers personally and always had a wee chat with whoever came in. Her husband Jim - the chef - also had a smile for everyone. In their case it's retirement, just as her brother in Del Greco's cafe' opposite the post office who closed last year. Like Cavani's cafe' there are no buyers, and to see all of these Saltcoats shops lying empty is quite depressing.
Saltcoats is beginning to loose it's appeal. Suppose its the same in most Ayrshire towns now. Everyone having their holidays abroad for guaranteed good weather, and preferring the shopping malls to small town shops. Or the Covid pandemic has been the last straw for these businesses. So sad.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

It’s is sad Jean - but I think it’s the bleak outlook for most if not all High Streets. Ayr was starting to look like a desert wae windies - to quote Billy Connolly - before the pandemic, goodness knows what it’s going to look like in a year’s time. The only thing that seems to be flourishing is the Buddleia in the gutter pipes. Sad that Avanti’s and M&Co are closing - guess it won’t be long before M&Co in Ayr will be following and closing it’s doors. What is really worrying me now is that in the middle of the third wave post Christmas parties will also be the impact of Brexit and food shortages. Any little local grocery shops that are delivering to the community just now will probably end up shutting up shop. I readily admit, I’m nervous.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

We've got a new slow/pressure cooker don't like it, it's been on all day and there's nae smell :( . It's finished now and open and smells brilliant, pea and ham soup ( fae a chicken). Huvin a bowl soon :D
Those wimin were in the nip.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

bonzo wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:27 pm We've got a new slow/pressure cooker don't like it, it's been on all day and there's nae smell :( . It's finished now and open and smells brilliant, pea and ham soup ( fae a chicken). Huvin a bowl soon :D
I have promised myself one them for ages when I threw the mil one out the.... Enjoy regards to misSe b //funny
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

How mean can you get. Paolo Rossi, world Cup final Italian football player in the 80's, known as Pablito, was buried yesterday at age 64. The ceremony was held in a Tuscan Cathedral with many of his former winning team attending in tears. He was a very much liked person.
While the ceremony was going on, thieves entered his Villa and ransacked the place looking for valubles and cash.
The amount of the theft is not yet known, but his wife and two young daughters, already suffering from their loss, are in a state of shock at this cruel , heartless attack.
Hopefully they will have been video cameras in the garden and catch those responsible before long.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

I read that this morning Jean - cold calculated heartless action. My heart goes out to his wife and family.

Meg
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Here in Holland, this is a well-known trick.
When the death announcement is published in the newspaper, they don't give the home address with the time and date of the funeral, but state 'care of the Funeral Undertaker's address.'

JD.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Storm bella -Is brewing up.She looks like a nasty ba-stard
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Couldn’t really sleep last night - and was hit with a memory of lying in the dark on a winters night listening to the foghorn in Ardrossan. Was it located at the harbour - anybody remember?
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

The sound came from the lighthouse structure, but who activated it or from where it was activated, I do not know. I have previously posted that it went off one day when I was fishing off the lighthouse pier, and to the best of my knowledge nobody visited the structure. I suspect it might have been activated from the Harbour Master's office, the harbour watchtower, or maybe the nearby coastguard station.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Bet you nearly wet yourself when it went off - if we could hear it in Clyde terrace it must have been deafening close by. That, the “all clear” that was used for the fire station and the shell hooter at 4.30 pm are three of the sounds of my childhood Ardrossan. If I went to the library after school, I walked up the shell brae to the refinery and stand in the patrol box to wait on my dad, and the shell hooter was soooooo loud. I even got clocking him out sometimes. Important job for a 7 year old.
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

Remember it fine Meg lived In Caledonia Rd it was an eerie sound sometimes..