Words we used

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
abla43
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Words we used

Post by abla43 »

My grandfather regularly usedthe words "spyug" - sparrow and "spicket" (a corruption of spigot?) which referred to the tap or faucetat the kitchen sink. the only source of water in those days. "planked" is still in occasional use by myself and others in the 3 toons. Ah planked it fur efter was the usual instance of it when I was a boy. Another word grandpa used regularly was "puddock" - frog. There were probably umpteen others that don't immediately spring to mind. If anybody is interested let me know and I'll try to remember some more.
Anne
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Anne »

Hughie's small turnips the size of potatoes are what we get here and normally only in the winter. I usually mash them with some carrots gives them some colour and tastes better.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Meg wrote:
John Donnelly wrote:Did anybody's mother have a ganzie?

JD.
If it's the same in Stinson as Ardrossan - then aye she did, and she knitted it herself!

Meg

gaes us a ganzie at that >(Give us a look)
And
i am going to town to buy new sheen > (shoes)
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Paraffin lamp (Tramp)
Girbree with your carcuss (feck off)
A Toadie .One of Stevenstons (finest ) often found alone and disoriented in a country lane. :lol:
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

What about goin for a birl roon ( going for a short trip). On a dreich (miserable) day.
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

Have we had gumption and gormless? Does s/he have the gumption to do something about it or is s/he gormless.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I like hochin as in very busy and foosty (mouldy).
Those wimin were in the nip.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Interesting , I've never heard of hochin but fusty yes. I remember once in a supermarket buying some limes for my gin and tonic and they were fusty and I pointed this out to one of their employees and although being Scottish he didn't know what I was on about. Guys do any of you put limes in your g&t or do you stick with the usual lemons?
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

abla43 wrote:My grandfather regularly usedthe words "spyug" - sparrow and "spicket" (a corruption of spigot?) which referred to the tap or faucetat the kitchen sink. the only source of water in those days. "planked" is still in occasional use by myself and others in the 3 toons. Ah planked it fur efter was the usual instance of it when I was a boy. Another word grandpa used regularly was "puddock" - frog. There were probably umpteen others that don't immediately spring to mind. If anybody is interested let me know and I'll try to remember some more.
We use to say if someone was ugly its a braw bird the paddock.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Starlings were referred to as stuckies.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

5siamese7 wrote:Interesting , I've never heard of hochin but fusty yes. I remember once in a supermarket buying some limes for my gin and tonic and they were fusty and I pointed this out to one of their employees and although being Scottish he didn't know what I was on about. Guys do any of you put limes in your g&t or do you stick with the usual lemons?
Limes for me :)
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Just had a read back through this thread surprised no mention of gaun the messages.
Those wimin were in the nip.