Words we used

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Re: Words we used

Post by calleytwo »

Meg Gordon wrote:Toorie - a bunnet!

Meg
Sorry Meg the Toorie's no the bunnet - its the wee pom pom oan tap of it. - Song went :"the toorie oan ma bunnet - the wee toorie unnit, the wee toorie-oorie" etc. Wee Ali
Here's a link to an anglicised version of the tune - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not the version sung by the troops.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

calleytwo wrote:Sorry Meg the Toorie's no the bunnet - its the wee pom pom oan tap of it. -
If you check here you'll see that the whole description is toorie bunnet, however, when I was at school it was shortened to toorie. Maybe after your time //funny
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Had a St Andrews themed meal at work today, lentil soup, stovies or haggis neeps and tatties, followed by cranachan and shortbread biscuits. A discussion took place about neeps, it was agreed that a turnip's flesh was white as apposed to the deep yellow colour of a swede. Anyone any idea where the the local word " tumshy/ie fits in with this root veg.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Probably just a 'friendly' name less formal than turnip..which brings me to the old groaner...'Did you hear about the farmer who died? There wiz a big turn up at his funeral.'

Your dinner sounds great, made me hungry!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

little plum wrote:Had a St Andrews themed meal at work today, lentil soup, stovies or haggis neeps and tatties, followed by cranachan and shortbread biscuits. A discussion took place about neeps, it was agreed that a turnip's flesh was white as apposed to the deep yellow colour of a swede. Anyone any idea where the the local word " tumshy/ie fits in with this root veg.

Careful LP - you're slipping into the English way of describing these root veggies (and unfortunately our supermarkets - which are all based in the South - are forcing us to think this way) - a swede in Scotland is the small, white spring vegetable, and a turnip is the big, golden coloured winter vegetable much loved at Burns Suppers. The US calls turnips, 'turnips' or 'rutabaga'. Think Oz and NZ also agree.

Meg
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

What I've bought as turnips here are apparently swedes then..I just thought they were some U.S. variety, taste pretty good and cook much the same. I'll need to try rutabaga, but I'll stick to the pumpkins for carving!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Here in Oz we don't have turnips the size we remember them in Scotland. We have small white quick growing turnips with white flesh about the size of a large potato. Swedes here are slower growing and come from colder climates, for us that's Tasmania. Swedes here have a yellowish flesh and we use them for meals such as Irish stews.

I was under the impression that those large turnips in Scotland were harvested in the main for feeding stock in the byers through the cold Winters?
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Same as England then Hughie - but have to say that we eat the slow growing winter turnips mashed up with black pepper and butter. Any stock wanting my dinner would need to fight me for it!

Meg
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Meg Gordon wrote:careful LP - you're slipping into the English way of describing these root veggies .Meg
Meg, they are all tumshies to me. :)

http://tumshie.urbanup.com/4859892" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hughie, this late season crop is used to feed livestock. Not too sure with the indoor idea but I can vouch for sheep grazing in tumshie fields, they are usually fenced off allowing the sheep to feed on a section at a time.

Anyway, back on track. Awa' ya tumshie heid.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I had to visit a bar in Tenerife last week to hear 'bealing' and 'swatch' as in - "She'll be bealing when I get back" and "Gie us a swatch at yer paper".
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I was watching a Victorian drama on TV tonight when mention was made of a bird coming down the chimney FLUE.

It's been a while since I heard the word.

Even all the recent talk about BIRD FLU never triggered anything in my mind :wink:.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

I'm so confused about neeps, Swedes, etc . We only used the orange flesh ones in Scotland. At the time I thought that was all one could get. When I came here and found that pumpkin was about the same colour and no neeps other than white ones I was disappointed. I happened to show a friend of mine a picture that appeared in the peoples friend and asked her to look at the colour of the neeps and she, as a born qlder, had never seen neeps that colour before.