Learning to speak Scottish

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Learning to speak Scottish

Post by Hughie »

There are so many tutorials on youtube on how to speak Scottish - this is but one. Wonder if our grandkids will give it a go and surprise their Nana Betty. Our eldest boy is quiet good.

stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Learning to speak Scottish

Post by stivis »

Like most here, folk were taught to "Talk Properly"
It was their ideal to eradicate the Scottish dialect and that in turn eliminates the Scottish Tongue. in language form.

Twenty years ago, I was answering a question on a forum, the lady thanked me and posted a phrase I recognised, I then replied in Scots, and so it went on for about 25 posts only interrupted by folk asking what the hell is going on
Intermittently I'll go and read some in Scots, the read word is more difficult than the spoken with the accent thrown in.

As the post had the subject of Accents.
I counted in traveling to Langholm via the A71 Drumclog road to the M74 from here Fifteen and I hadn't got a far as Lesmahgow

Billy Kaye's books are excellent but his spoken word stuff better

Alan Nisbett's Vote Britain a fine example

Consider The Late Sam Gilbraith and his accent ,
He was a World Class Brain Surgeon, seriously Top . Initially there was a disregard of him due to the accent
He was born in Clitheroe
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Learning to speak Scottish

Post by Meg »

I love the fact that the Curriculum for Excellence in Scottish schools embraces and actually celebrates the Scots language - one of my favourite authors is Michael Fitt who has translated a lot of the Ronald Dhal books, for instance The Twits became The Eejits, George’s Marvellous Medicine became Geordie’s Mingin’ Medicine. The Gruffalo has also been translated into Scots.

We’ve lost a lot of the old words that were used regularly but at least we are preserving what’s left.