The Windy City

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

The Windy City

Post by glenshena »

Last Wednesday, after more than 7/8 years, I had to go back to the city of Milan, a 40 minute train journey from Home. So many changes in that time, train tickets bought online and presented to the controller on your telephone....coming back bought on a vending machine in the station. Things that I have never had to do in my whole life of travelling on a train. My grandaughter is a wizz at these things and she keeps me right. Anyway after a year of lockdown and restricitons, it was nice to see the 'world' again, although all shops are closed, just snack bars open for a take away lunch. I've never seen the Central Station so empty. Just policemen and military personel controlling every exit/entrance. We had a short walk around 'The Fortress' but a cold wind got up so we decided to go back to the station and make our way home. Hundreds of taxis waiting for inexistent fares, grateful for almost anyone who came their way. I was amazed at still how much building is going on, skyscrapers housing financial companies popping up everywhere. It was nice to get back home to my 'comfort zone' by the lake, the exact opposite of Milan. I'll leave the big city to the younger generation now although like a child I did enjoy the journey on the train!
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Windy City

Post by Meg »

That sounds like a fantastic day out Jean. I’ve never been to Milan but it is on my list. George and I have had a lot of discussion on what life is going to be like when we do rejoin the rest of the world. I just can’t imagine walking into a crowded pub, or sitting in a busy restaurant let alone jumping onto the 5 o’clock train from Glasgow Central to Ayr - the busiest Ayr train of the day I believe. My sewing class in Mandors fabric shop is probably going to meet up again in August and that’s the train I would normally get home, but I think I’ll probably be driving - although traffic that time of night make it a two hour drive back to Ayr. It will take a long time to feel comfortable I think.
Kittywake
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kittywake »

Interesting, as I've always known 'The Windy City' to be Chicago.
Last edited by Kittywake on Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

glenshena wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:50 am Last Wednesday, after more than 7/8 years, I had to go back to the city of Milan, a 40 minute train journey from Home. So many changes in that time, train tickets bought online and presented to the controller on your telephone....coming back bought on a vending machine in the station. Things that I have never had to do in my whole life of travelling on a train. My grandaughter is a wizz at these things and she keeps me right. Anyway after a year of lockdown and restricitons, it was nice to see the 'world' again, although all shops are closed, just snack bars open for a take away lunch. I've never seen the Central Station so empty. Just policemen and military personel controlling every exit/entrance. We had a short walk around 'The Fortress' but a cold wind got up so we decided to go back to the station and make our way home. Hundreds of taxis waiting for inexistent fares, grateful for almost anyone who came their way. I was amazed at still how much building is going on, skyscrapers housing financial companies popping up everywhere. It was nice to get back home to my 'comfort zone' by the lake, the exact opposite of Milan. I'll leave the big city to the younger generation now although like a child I did enjoy the journey on the train!
glenshena. The next time i see my daughter i will ask her how do you scan barcodes with a mobile phone. It must be wonderful living in a warmer climate by the lake. Do the Milanese, know anything about your connections to a famous Glasgow football club!
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Yes Brian I do live in a lovely part of the world. I don't think I could live with the Scottish climate any more, although it's a beautiful country and the people are so friendly. I do support AC Milan, but I have never been to a football match! Cheers!
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

glenshena wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:56 am Yes Brian I do live in a lovely part of the world. I don't think I could live with the Scottish climate any more, although it's a beautiful country and the people are so friendly. I do support AC Milan, but I have never been to a football match! Cheers!
I went to the San Siro in 2005, one of my favourite football experiences. Walking out onto the terraces took my breath away, it was looking a bit long in the tooth but still amazing.
Those wimin were in the nip.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

C'mon Glenshena,
Who's your connection?
JD.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Glenshena,

Don't tell him again :wink:
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

I've obviously missed something. JD.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Not recently JD, but I see Brian has provided you with the answer in his Celtic 1967 topic.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Got it. I was at St. Mick's at the same time as Bobby. Played many a tanner-ba' game in the playground with him.
JD.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

bonzo wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:59 am
glenshena wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:56 am Yes Brian I do live in a lovely part of the world. I don't think I could live with the Scottish climate any more, although it's a beautiful country and the people are so friendly. I do support AC Milan, but I have never been to a football match! Cheers!
I went to the San Siro in 2005, one of my favourite football experiences. Walking out onto the terraces took my breath away, it was looking a bit long in the tooth but still amazing.
Well Ian the first San Siro stadium was built in 1926 and has been remodernised 3 times over the years. But now they are building a BRAND NEW stadium, the plans were passed last December but with covid everything is on hold. It is also going to be a commercial hub and site for pop concerts, and will take the most of 6 years to complete. This is a video of the new stadium: