The Windy City

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: The Windy City

Post by bonzo »

Looks amazing Jean. I remember we went to see Leonardo's horse before we went to the stadium. I enjoyed my time in Milan and we keep saying we must go back.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Rangers fans, if I remember correctly, were deprived the experience of the San Siro in September, 2005, after UEFA, following previous crowd disorder by the Italian fans, ordered that a Champion's League match be played behind closed-doors.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Another thing we did in Milan was a little pilgrimage to the Lambrate district and the site of the old Innocenti works were Lambretta scooters were made. Sadly all that was left was the old water tower but even that was good to see.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

bonzo, i cant see you- but i can hear you :lol:

bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

We were 3 or 4 rows from the back, the place was absolutely bouncing. A certain wee guy called Pirlo wasted it though :lol:
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Meg wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:58 am That sounds like a fantastic day out Jean. I’ve never been to Milan but it is on my list. George and I have had a lot of discussion on what life is going to be like when we do rejoin the rest of the world. I just can’t imagine walking into a crowded pub, or sitting in a busy restaurant let alone jumping onto the 5 o’clock train from Glasgow Central to Ayr - the busiest Ayr train of the day I believe. My sewing class in Mandors fabric shop is probably going to meet up again in August and that’s the train I would normally get home, but I think I’ll probably be driving - although traffic that time of night make it a two hour drive back to Ayr. It will take a long time to feel comfortable I think.
The problem over here with public transport are the buses and Undergrounds. They have a high Covid risk. Not the trains. The train I took to Milan was new and spotlessly clean, coming from Switzerland. Coming back it was an older Italian train, not quite the same standard, and we were advised to keep our gloves(and masks) on the whole time.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

bonzo wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:08 pm Another thing we did in Milan was a little pilgrimage to the Lambrate district and the site of the old Innocenti works were Lambretta scooters were made. Sadly all that was left was the old water tower but even that was good to see.
I mean to comment earlier, but you reminded me that listed among the strangest objects ever thrown at a football match (from a top level) is a Lambretta scooter at the San Siro - and it was on fire :shock:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Penny Tray wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:52 am
bonzo wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:08 pm Another thing we did in Milan was a little pilgrimage to the Lambrate district and the site of the old Innocenti works were Lambretta scooters were made. Sadly all that was left was the old water tower but even that was good to see.
I mean to comment earlier, but you reminded me that listed among the strangest objects ever thrown at a football match (from a top level) is a Lambretta scooter at the San Siro - and it was on fire :shock:
I remember that PT, always wondered how they got it through the turnstiles, disguised in a scarf and a football strip maybe? :lol:
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Bonzo,

My recollection, certainly at the front of the stadium, is that there was a substantial open-air concourse between the stadium itself and perimeter turnstiles and gates, the latter providing access to emergency vehicles and team buses. When open, these gates could easily have been breached by a scooter. Thereafter, I understand that the circular towers comprise, not stairs, but flat spiral surfaces up which a scooter could easily have been driven. In any event, CRAZY!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Siro# ... Meazza.jpg