Tanners and Bobs

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Tanners and Bobs

Post by glenshena »

Back in the days of tanners and bobs, when mothers had patience and fathers had jobs. When football team families wore hand me down shoes, and TV gave only two channels to choose. Back in the days of threepenny bits, when schools employed nurses to search for your nits. When snowballs were harmless, ice slides were permitted, and all of your jumpers were warm and hand knitted. Back in the days of hot ginger beers, when children remained so for more that six years. When children respected what older folks said, and pot was a thing you kept under your bed. Back in the days of 'listen with mother', when neighbours were friendly and talked with each other. When cars were so rare you could play in the street. When Doctors made house calls, police walked the beat. Back in the days of Milligan's Goons when butter was butter and songs all had tunes... It was dumpling for dinner and trifle for tea, and your annual break was a day by the sea. Back in the days of Dixon's Dock Green, Crackerjack pens and Lyons Ice Cream. When children could freely wear National Health Glasses, and teachers all stood at the FRONT of their classes. Back in the days of rocking and reeling, when mobiles were things you hung from the ceiling. When woodwork and pottery got taught in schools, and everyone dreamt of a win on the pools. Back in the days when I was a lad,I can't help but smile for the fun that I had. Hopscotch and roller skates, snowballs to lob, all in the days of tanners and bobs.
Author Unknown.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Tanners and Bobs

Post by bonzo »

Like it :good:
Those wimin were in the nip.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

Brilliant
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Yes great! those were the days
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Really enjoyed that; it took me back.
Just one nit-picking thing:-
Back in the days, neighbours talked TO each other.

Sorry, JD. :(

Can't stand Americanisms sneaking into our language.