old fashioned

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

old fashioned

Post by glenshena »

After keeping my first grandaughters clothes in a trunk for almost twenty years, ready for the next grandaughter, today we find that most of it will be taken to charity shops. My Scottish parsimonism has proved to be unecessary.
Nowadays little girls are not wearing button up pure wool cardigans and crisp cotton button up blouses anymore. And skirts? I never see my grandaughter in a skirt, just leggings and comfortable track suit trousers, summer and winter. Easy to wear and easy to wash with almost no ironing. When it's really hot she'll wear shorts and t-shirts, but always light cotton leggings even in summer. The occasional sleeveless summer dress. At the moment her school uniform is just an overall, no blazers or skirts in this part of the world.
Now it's zip up pile and track suit tops and felps, all easy to wash and dry in the machine. In my opinion Pure wool is definitely out as far as children are concerned. Definitely going for the sporty look. And as for the coats - what's a coat? Today just quilted and furry lined jackets and raincoats are acceptable. Her shoes are just velcro closed pink sneakers. No more tying laces! So I'll be off to the charity shops with a bagfull of clothes and shoes which hopefully somebody will appreciate. Who knows what will be fashionable for children in another twenty years? :(
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: old fashioned

Post by brian f »

glenshena- A fantastic post written with extreme confidence. Just to comment "Millennials" are not known to use an iron, probably don't even have one.Tartan and jeans-will never go out of fashion :)
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Brian when I think of the beautiful Marks and Spencers childrens dresses I had bought, paying cash as they weren't accepting credit cards at the time, and the Clarks school sandals which are so old fashioned now. I gave away a pair that were almost new.
Dresses and sandals and skirts and coats, another epoca.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

It came to mind that whenever we got invited to a cousins birthday party in the 50's, we were dressed up in organza party dresses and one or two flowers or ribbons in our hair, just to play in the garden. Unbelievable now. :roll:
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

A pet hate of mine are coats............coats now don't cover "yer bum"...never mind even approaching your knees

Confession time .........Trump wears excellent coats, dark full length ( I bet they're really expensive) wear anywhere
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Stivis- Do you remember the swallow raincoats. Think i got mine from h e rowe - but not certain.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

Kind of trenchcoat,don't think it had a belt . bit like the Aussie Dri-Z-Bone without the shoulder capes.

I forgot about H E Rowes

Milletts for the parkas, Quality not Chinese crap, that's a bit unfair.really it's size translation that they haven't grasped

Re Old Fashion .Check the prices of new Barbour and Belstaff Jackets .You will be shocked
Anne
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Anne »

I take my granddaughter (10) Shopping for Clothes , our tastes are very different.