Christmas banned

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Christmas banned

Post by margb »

Over the Christmas holidays it was brought to my attention that an Act of Parliament Scotland banned celebrating said holiday in the 1640's. Although it was repealed in the 1700's the Church was very against it so the ban continued.
Wasn't until 1958 that Scotland was granted a public holiday to celebrate. Seemingly thats why we make the most of the celebrations at New Year.
My question is does anyone remember getting any presents prior to 1958. I was 4 a bit young. Just curious.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Christmas banned

Post by bobnetau »

I cannot remember NOT getting presents and I was born 1943.
Bobby always talks about Christmas Day not being a public holiday when he was working in Shipyard.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

bobnetau and Margb
Like you I can’t remember not getting Christmas presents.( born 1944) Even after 1958 I remember working Christmas Day but we had 3 days off for New Year. At that time it was normal to work on a Saturday morning as part of the normal working week.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

meekan wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:57 pm bobnetau and Margb
Like you I can’t remember not getting Christmas presents.( born 1944) Even after 1958 I remember working Christmas Day but we had 3 days off for New Year. At that time it was normal to work on a Saturday morning as part of the normal working week.
Meehan, I worked in a bank and we worked Sat mornings as a normal week. We also opened one night a week. Think it was 6pm till 9 pm.