earthquakes

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

earthquakes

Post by morag »

Just had a few earthquakes here first (that I noticed) was a kind of jolt, up and down, quite a strong one, the cats all woke up and looked at me as if I did it! I was waiting for aftershocks -no, but a bit later a doozy, the rolling kind. Doors shaking, anything hanging going like the dickens! They measured over 7 on the Richter scale, so far there are fires, buildings damaged etc., but no casualties, I'll need to check out. If you want to you can do a search for Ridgecrest earthquake.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: earthquakes

Post by brian f »

Morag , I did read up on it on CNN. Hope you will be ok its bad enough for you but the pets must be terrified .
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I've never been bothered by earthquakes, Brian. When my daughter was about 4, 1986 or so, we had a bad quake. I walked her to school and that morning, as we set on our way, she looked at me, puzzled, "where are all the dinosaurs and molten lava?". years later I was teaching in a Montessori school when we had another quake. Most of the teachers were Pakistani or Indian. When the quake hit, they all took cover under desks, one even pulled a child out so she could move in! The only 2 left upright were an Irish man and me lol ...the director kept telling us to get under a desk, but I asked her who'd take care of the kids then? The best I could do was keep the kids from being terrified, if Mrs Black isn't scared we must be OK, bless them. The Irish man, Andrew, stood in the doorway that connected our rooms, and I went over to the other building to ensure all was ok. This last quake, one of my sons girlfriend and her daughter were terrified. :roll:
C.S.Lewis
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Its safe to say your not a feartie- Morag. Thunder and lighting terrifies me never mind Earthquakes :oops:
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I actually love thunder and lightning and a good rainfall, Brian. One time we had a storm which only had lightning - it was a real experience, like watching a silent movie.About the one thing that has me nervous is fires, we get them often in the foothills just above where I live. Thankfully, there's a 4 lane road it'd have to cross and by then the fire squad are on it. So, I don't like fires, high temperatures...what am I doing here in hot, sunny southern California? :shock:
C.S.Lewis
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Morag,

I experienced that a good few years ago. I couldn't understand it at all. I still can't. The only explanation I could think of was that the wind took the thunder away from where I was. Funnily enough, there wasn't a breath of wind, it was warm but not oppressive, and there was no rain.
I've never ever heard any-one mentioning such a thing before. I thought I had maybe imagined it. Nobody talked about it in the town nor in the press; it was pre-internet, etc. And it was a big storm too.
Has anybody else experienced anything like it?

JD.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Yes, John, it was a weird, fascinating thing to see. I'm pretty sure if you'd go out in it and got struck, the results would be same as a thundery one!
C.S.Lewis