Fish & Chips in Australia

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Fish & Chips in Australia

Post by Meg »

bonzo wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:59 am
Brian the chippies have taken the pizza supper to a new level now with a pizza crunch, which is the normal chippie pizza dipped in batter then fried ohya.
I can feel my arteries hardening as I read this :lol:
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

MY local chippy is the best one around for miles, you can have a choice if fish, Cod, Perch, Barramundi, Flake and a few others more. You can also order them battered that's the Wee man, crumbed that's me or grilled that's the wee wummin. There is also Calamari and battered hot dogs if you want them. We don't have to queue up, we just ring them up and they tell you when they will be ready and I just drive up and there they are.
I also remember a few years ago I was camping in a place called Port Macquarie on the New South Wales coast. There was a chip shop there which only opened from 11.00 a.am. till 2.00 p.m. and from 5.00 p.m. till 8.00p.m. There was always a queue outside the door as the food was excellent. I dined in there once a day for a week.

Wee Boney
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

If there's one thing I miss here in NL, it's fish and chips.
They don't know it at all here. :(
Maybe I'll open a chippy. I'd make a fortune. - Wish now I'd thought of that when I was a bit younger.
JD.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

At least you have Kibbeling, JD. We don't even have that here in Germany.
Irene
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

hahaya2004 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:02 am At least you have Kibbeling, JD. We don't even have that here in Germany.
Irene
Mmmm kibbeling with the garlic mayo, I could go some of that.
We had an "English" chippie in Hamburg Irene, never tried it though.
Those wimin were in the nip.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

You can get the German version called "Backfisch" here at summer fairs or Christmas markets. No chips though. :?
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Lecker :D
Those wimin were in the nip.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

hahaya2004 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:02 am At least you have Kibbeling, JD. We don't even have that here in Germany.
Irene
Hi Irene and Bonzo.
Nice to know there are more Holland afficianados out there.
Kibbeling. Yes, I've been here for over 40 years and never had any. They're the left-over bits from the filleting process which are fried up. Never fancied them. What we do have are lekkerbekjies, which are fish fillets deep-fried in batter. They are very similar to our fish from the chippy, though you never get chips with them.
The literal translation is 'tasty gub.' (Gub as in shutyer ..) You buy them from the fish shop, not a snack-bar or a (non-existent) chippie.

Just when I think of it, the Dutch have some quite funny terms for things. A hangover is a 'kater' (tom-cat),
and ham and egg is an 'uitsmijter' (chucker-out / doorman).

JD.