Scotch Cruise Pies

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Scotch Cruise Pies

Post by Hughie »

There must have been a Scots crew member on board who couldn't get his hands on mutton. Had one of these pies and they tasted similar to what you have at home, though it was a wee bit dry.

Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Scotch Cruise Pies

Post by Sarah »

Jan and I will be off in 10 days for our New Zealand trip Hughie hope to see them on our ship, what was the weather like for you ..
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Yes, I remember you saying you and Jan would be on the Golden Princess - that's the one we were on. Those pies were on the deck where you can get hamburgers, hot dogs and chips - the hamburgers were very nice. Entertainment and restaurant meals were tops. You'll enjoy NZ. I see you are going to Akaroa which was settled by the French - lovely place. Enjoy!

Here's a link to the ships bridge camera - best viewed through daylight hours. :roll:
https://www.princess.com/bridgecams/
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Those pies certainly look the part Hughie - and beef is the most popular filling for Scotch pies nowadays, although there's often some mutton/lamb content as well.
They maybe just needed a wee bit more water added to the mix to help prevent the dryness but still good to see them on offer on a cruise ship on the other side of the world. :)
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

They look lovely. A lot of times i crave for a hot Scotch pie with beens on top,you cant get them down here
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Sarah, if you over-indulge on those pies or the other lovely food on offer, you might consider doing a few laps of the ship, I did five laps most sea days. Each lap took about 8 minutes. :cool

Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

Good to know that Hughie I walk every morning when Im cruising I've done the New Zealand one a couple of times with my family but this is Jans first one to NZ she did live there for 30 years but her first time back for a few years. Would like aheads up on the weather how was it, should I pack a jumper..
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Sarah wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:01 am Would like aheads up on the weather how was it, should I pack a jumper..
Hi Again, Sarah. We were on that same ship to Vanuatu and New Caledonia where the weather was beautiful and warm. So I don't know what the weather will be like for you going to NZ. But I'd suggest a jumper and a waterproof windcheater too - like Melbourne it should be warming up there this time of the year. :)
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

brian f wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:30 pm They look lovely. A lot of times i crave for a hot Scotch pie with beens on top,you cant get them down here

Blackpool and Luton are 2 that i know of that has them.

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Thanks, sweet caroline-my local Aldi normally sell them 2 pack for about a pound during the week of Rabbie Burns birthday. I will hang on until then. Not the same as Kandy bar or Shorts but better than nothing . :)
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Welcome home to Melbourne from NZ, Sarah. How was the cruise? :)