I AM NOW A ROBOT?

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

I AM NOW A ROBOT?

Post by Penny Tray »

Every morning around this time, certainly for the last three or four years, I’ve made posts under the heading - THIS DAY IN HISTORY (Ardrossan/Saltcoats/Stevenston) - with information derived from reading ‘old’ Glasgow Heralds via Google News.

Unfortunately, ‘Google,’ in their own words, now suspect I’m a ROBOT, possibly scanning their site for ulterior purposes, constantly telling me – “Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. This page checks to see if it’s really you sending the requests, and not a robot.”

They then set me wee exams – called CAPTCHAS – which I pass, and am allowed back on to the site – BUT ONLY FOR 30 SECONDS OR SO BEFORE I’M BLANKED OUT AGAIN - and obliged to sit further exams, sometimes up to nine in a row, albeit I’ve already passed numbers 1 to 8.

Because I read these newspapers from back to front, copying any article of interest in my own handwriting, to then type it up on Threetowners in order that the content is later available through word searches, my commitment is already fairly significant. I don’t however, have the time to play ‘hokey, cokey’ with Google News and unless somebody knows a solution that I and others have been unable to find, I guess I’ll need to slow down - (I STILL HAVE SOME TYPED-UP ARTICLES ON FILE) – and eventually disappear from this topic!

In the meantime, honest, I am not a ROBOT!

SOME BACKGROUND INFORMATION:-

https://www.webnots.com/fix-im-not-a-ro ... le-search/
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: I AM NOW A ROBOT?

Post by John Donnelly »

Penny Tray wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:29 am
Unfortunately, ‘Google,’ in their own words, now suspect I’m a ROBOT, possibly scanning their site for ulterior purposes, constantly telling me – “Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. This page checks to see if it’s really you sending the requests, and not a robot.”

Because I read these newspapers from back to front, copying any article of interest in my own handwriting, to then type it up on Threetowners in order that the content is later available through word searches, my commitment is already fairly significant.
Hi, PT.
I think you have given the reasoning behind your problem yourself.
I think they, (Google and their contraptions) see your regular interest as evidence that you are using the information for commercial ends. Computers are the most literal, unintelligent inventions.
Consider what a computer would do if instructed to 'boil the kettle.'

JD.
PS; Take a drink of oil, have an iron sandwich and take a shot of electricity. You'll feel better in the morning.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Not sure if this is any good:
https://auth.nls.uk/eresources/browse/title
You have to register. I think it's free, but not sure. If you have a Scottish postcode, you can access them from home. Otherwise only from the reading room.
Last edited by hahaya2004 on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Penny Tray - Have you tried (CCleaner Free) this will delete all History, Cookies etc. Good luck.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

derived from reading ‘old’ Glasgow Heralds via Google News.
You can access the Herald via archive.is if you install it in your toolbar(it's webpage capture)
It allows you to cut and paste text, so saves the typing. best to save as word documents .....If you save as a pdf file these ,depending on what program your using can be jpegs , which are pretty useless for word docs.

Clearing history,? You can use add-ons . I tend to clean history manually, but Advanced System Care works well and like CCCleaner is FOC

Might I suggest some Kraftwerk for background