Not the THREETOWNS but close

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Not the THREETOWNS but close

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
15 JANUARY 1890

AYR - FIND OF COINS

A considerable number of coins, GOLD, SILVER, AND COPPER, have been found on the beach near Ayr Dock by children and others. The coins have been dispersed but from examination they seem to be of Irish origin and of considerable age. They were probably all brought across with the large quantities of ballast which comes from Belfast and other Irish ports to Ayr and are deposited on the beach.

[Both George Ardrossan and Meekan have previously posted to the effect that Irish ballast/soil was also deposited on the South Beach, Horse Island, and other areas of Ardrossan.]
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Not the THREETOWNS but close

Post by Penny Tray »

Threetown worthies were recently discussed in another topic but I'm not aware that any made the Glasgow Herald on their passing. The following article is not attributed to anyone and appears simply as a Scottish news item. I can't find any family intimation of John's death anywhere else.

GLASGOW HERALD
8 MARCH 1900

DEATH OF A DALRY WORTHY

John Marshall, a Dalry character, died yesterday morning suddenly at his little house in New Street.

He had been long known by the name of "LEARY," and earned a livelihood by billposting and doing odd jobs with which he could be trusted, and when luck was against him he had many kind friends to whom he could appeal with confidence.

Despite natural failings he was strictly honest, and had the advantage of being able to both read and write. He was sometimes the victim of the practical joker, but most of the inhabitants were kindly disposed towards him and would not permit of any serious wrong befalling him.

His patriotism was intense and he never liked to hear of Dalry mean being beat by anybody, be they curlers, bowlers, or football players. On the occasion of the send-off to the volunteers lately his patriotism knew no bounds, and some persuasion had to be used to keep him quiet.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

McGavin Park - Kilwinning
John McGavin was born in Kilwinning in 1816, he moved to Glasgow where he carried out a successful business career for himself as a grain merchant, becoming in turn director of the Glasgow Chamber of Commerce and Chairman of the Forth and Clyde Railway Co. On his retiral he returned to Kilwinning where on his death he left money to establish a public park for the people of Kilwinning.

Source: Publication by Kilwinning & District Preservation Society - '101 Questions and Answers about Kilwinning Past and Present'. Could make it into a PDF file when I get the time.
Edit ... Added. See This topic.
johnboy
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by johnboy »

To those in the threetowners who do not know where Mc Gavin park in Kilwinning is situated,then all you have to do is to drive along the Dalry road ,and once you pass the pimary school it is on your left hand side. :smt102
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
18 MAY 1881

KILMARNOCK - PROHIBITION OF THE "LADY PLAYERS" FOOTBALL MATCH

The "Lady Players" were advertised to appear last night at Kilmarnock, but on the recommendation of the magistrates the club who had granted the use of their ground for the match withdrew their permission, and the managers of the female teams were advised of this decision by telegraph.

They accordingly did not put in an appearance.

[This follows a match at Shawfield in Glasgow on Saturday 15 May 1881 which had to be abandoned when hunderds of men ran on to the pitch. The players escaped on a bus drawn by four grey horses amid chaotic scenes of vandalism and fighting between spectators and police.]

More detail is available in the following link -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-h ... s-24176354
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
29 MAY 1874

DALRY - SMALLPOX

During the present week, smallpox has again shown itself in the town, but as yet not fatal cases have occurred.

At present there is one case in the hospital.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
10 JUNE 1915

LETTER TO THE EDITOR

AILSA CRAIG LIGHTKEEPER
JUNE 5

Sir,

A rumour arose about six weeks ago that the principal lightkeeper on Ailsa Craig had been arrested and shot for assisting enemy submarines. The rumour was contradicted at the time in local papers, but as the story is still being handed round and common talk in city and country, I would be pleased if you would favour me with space to give the whole story an emphatic denial.

I am etc.,

ALEX THOMSON
PRINCIPAL LIGHTKEEPER
AILSA CRAIG
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

This being the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo I thought this was interesting.

Ensign CHARLES EWART ( 1769 - 23rd May 1846) of the Scots Greys, famous for capturing the regimental eagle of the 45th Regiment of the Line at the Battle of Waterloo was born near Kilmarnock.
Reported to be 6' 4" tall and of herculean strength, he was an expert swordsman and accomplished rider.
To quote him " one man thrust at my groin, I parried him off and cut him through the head. A Lancer came at me, I threw the lance off by my right side and cut him through the chin and upwards through the teeth. Next, a foot soldier fired at me and then charged me with his bayonet, which I also had the good luck to parry, and then I cut him through the head".
The eagle is on display in the Royal Scots Dragoon museum.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
27 JUNE 1903

ACCIDENT TO CYCLIST

A serious accident to a cyclist named AGOSTINI is reported from West Kilbride.

While cycling down the steep hill at Seamill, Agostini lost control of his bicycle and was thrown violently to the ground. One of his legs was fractured, his face was cut, and he was otherwise bruised. His wounds were dressed in West Kilbride and he was afterwards taken to one of the Glasgow Infirmaries.

The hill is a dangerous one, and there is a notice at the top of it warning cyclists to be on their guard.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I love the wording of these old posts, so proper and so different from today's garish press!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

We're not so very far from the Three Towns at all with that last report, because as we've already seen in the Directories topic, the Agostini family were already in business in Ardrossan at that date. And further consulting the 1903 directory I see that the same Dario Agostini had another branch in West Kilbride....so there was good reason for members of the family to be cycling to and fro.

Susan
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Thanks for this added detail Susan. The Agostini family were well known in Ardrossan in my time, I was unaware of the earlier West Kilbride connection.