Not the THREETOWNS but close

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Not the THREETOWNS but close

Post by Hughie »

I agree, Brian. Very entertaining. With the pen-name Habbie he could be a native of Kilbarchan?
HABBIE, n. 1. An inhabitant of Kilbarchan, a town in Renfrewshire, so called after its well-known 17th cent. piper, Habbie [Herbert] Simpson, whose statue adorns the Town Steeple (n.
There might be more of his writings out there. :think:
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Can't find any reference to the Provosts lamp Habbie was talking about. This lamp i remember walking through Kilwinning.

https://images.app.goo.gl/JmnDyGkNeUSqovg28

Click on the image.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Isn’t there a legend about angel being witnessed in Kilwinning?
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

No legend, but a fact. It happened in Hayocks Road in Stevenston. Sometime around the late '50's I think.
Check out Angel Glass.

JD.
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by exile »

John Donnelly wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:31 pm No legend, but a fact. It happened in Hayocks Road in Stevenston. Sometime around the late '50's I think.
Check out Angel Glass.

JD.
It was the late 50s right enough, altho' I think it was the street parallel, on the corner of Greenhead Ave and Hillhead Road.
I remember standing outside the house with about 20-30 other people, looking at a vaguely angel-shaped effect produced within the house's door glass when the people inside shone a light behind it.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

A classic example of mass hysteria. Intelligent, well-educated people were kneeling in the front garden saying the rosary and saying that the amosphere was just like Lourdes.

JD.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald
July 8, 1910.

West Kilbride Gaol

Sir, - Might I inquire through the medium of your columns as to whether there is any chance of West Kilbride gaol being shifted to a more suitable position? At present it is disgraceful to see what takes place. Potato diggers and tramps in all stages of intoxication are dragged the whole length of the village, sometimes with the help of barrows and other vehicles, before they can be lodged in custody.

Had a little commonsense been used the gaol would never have been placed where it is, in the west end of the town, but in the east end, where disturbances generally occur. I trust that in the interests of West Kilbride the Parish Council will move in the direction of having these disgraceful scenes brought to an end. - Yours, etc.,

Unwilling Observer
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Kilmarnock Herald
July 16, 1915

Criminal Cases Arising out of the War

A local fishmonger was admonished at the Kilmarnock Sheriff Court for having in his possession, on 28th June, a homing pigeon and on 2nd and 3rd June a homing pigeon, without having obtained from the police a permit.

At Kilmarnock Sheriff Court, on Wednesday, Americo Nardini, ice cream merchant, Pierhead, Main Street. Largs. occupier of shop known as the Largs Cafe in Fort Street, being a place where lights, if unobscured, would be visible from the sea, was charged with having, between the period from one hour after sunset on 2nd July till one hour before sunrise on following morning failed to obscure one indoor light in his shop, and was fined £1 or ten days' imprisonment.

Motor Over-Speed Cases
Archibald Douglas Hamilton, confectioner, Aldersyde, Uddingston, was charged with having, about 4 p.m. on 4th July, in Seamill, on the public highway, driven a motor car at a speed exceeding ten miles per hour. He was fined £9 or ten days.

John McGavin Edminton, engineer, Rose. vale, Windsor Road, Renfrew, was charged with having between 3 and 4 p.m. on 4th July, in Seamill, driven a motor bicycle at a speed exceeding ten miles per hour. He was fined £2 or ten days.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

July 30, 1909.

Beith Man's Invention

Two columns of the London "Times" were devoted one day last week to an invention partly by Mr John Muir of John Muir & Son, tanners, Beith. The object of the invention is to overcome vibration in motor traction, and consequently to reduce the cost of maintenance of motor vehicles. "Another triumph of British engineering genius" is how the "Times" describes the invention, which consists of a novel form of wheel-hub. The new hub is called the "shock-shifter," the hollow space in the centre being filled with steel balls, loosely packed, which support the axle.

Mr Muir is more directly associated with co-related invention consisting of hydraulically compressed leather tyre which wears marvellously and provides something like immunity from skidding. We congratulate Dr Muir on these achievements of his firm, which, by the way, has been established for two hundred years.

Index of companies 1891
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Irvine Herald
August 7, 1959

Houses for Glasgow's Overspill

The Secretary of State for Scotland has Approved of the Irvine Town Development Scheme providing employment for the workers coming to the town. Irvine Town Council was amongst the first of the local authorities to sign an overspill agreement with Glasgow Corporation. This agreement provides for the erection of 1,400 houses, half of which will be built by the Town Council and half by the Scottish Special Housing Association. The Town Development Scheme, which is the second such scheme to be approved in Scotland, authorises the Town Council to provide playing fields and shopping facilities and to develop for industrial purposes the site of the Royal Ordnance Factory and other land.

Such activities will rank for grant under the Housing and Town Planning Development (Scotland) Act, 1957, the Act under which Glasgow overspill schemes are being carried through. The financial help from the Government is intended to tide the receiving authorities over the initial years of development during which the annual outgoings would otherwise weed any gains in rate revenue by substantial margin.

The Town Council of Irvine have safeguarded the interests of the burgh by always insisting that industry will come to the town together with overspill population. In connection with Town Council' effort to attract new industries to the locality, Lord Forbes, Minister of State, has written to Provost Donaldson praising the enterprise and initiative of the Local Authority in seeking new industry, in which letter he also states: "I understand that you have had considerable success. I hope that you will now be able to complete early arrangements for the establishing of the interested firms and that progress will thus be made with your plans for the extension of Irvine with overspill population from Glasgow and with the provision of additional employment for workers from Irvine itself and its neighbourhood."
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Irvine Herald - 9th August, 1957
Letter to the Editor
District Offices Irvine, 6th August, 1957.

Blacklands Fire Disaster.

No doubt an account of the fire which rendered three families homeless at Blacklands, Kilwinning, will be given elsewhere in this issue. As a sequel to this disaster may I advise you that Relief Fund has been opened to help these distressed families, consisting of ten adults and eleven children.

The Committee operating this fund in representative of both the Parish and Burgh of Kilwinning, and its members are:- David Campbell, Local Officer, Ayr County Council; Provost Joseph Johnston, Provost of Kilwinning Burgh: Rev. Wilbur C. Lavalette, Minister of Kilwinning Parish: John Murray, District Councillor: John M. Ramsay, District Officer, Ayr County Council; Rev. Peter Ryan. R.C. Priest of Kilwinning Parish: David Savage, County and District Councillor : and James Scott. District councillor.

A door to door collection is presently being made, and the Committee in confident that the response will be worthy of the community. To those who, through holidays or absence from home, may miss the opportunity to subscribe, I should indicate that the fund will remain open for a fortnight, and any member of the above Committee will be glad to receive contributions within this period.

I thank you for giving publicity to this information and worthy appeal.

J. M. RAMSAY.
District Welfare Officer.
20 Bank Street, Irvine,

Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

August 16, 1907