Not the THREETOWNS but close

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Not the THREETOWNS but close

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
25 JANUARY 1841

AN AWFUL CATASTROPHE

An awful catastrophe has occurred at the farm of Feorlin, Shiskine, Arran.

A small school was taught by a young man of the name McGregor, in a house formerly used as a potato store. During the thaw on Saturday last, one of the gables suddenly fell in, and melancholy to relate, four of the children were killed on the spot, and several other severely injured.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
29 JANUARY 1838

FATAL ACCIDENT – IRVINE

Yesterday morning, the body of a young man was found embedded in the ice, below Irvine Bridge. It is supposed the deceased, who was recognised to be a weaver of the name ROBERT SIMPSON, whilst crossing the bridge had his bonnet blown over, in attempting to recover which the ice had yielded, and being unable to extricate himself, was thus frozen to death.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
21 FEBRUARY 1817

SHIPWRECK – JOSEPH BEGGS MEDAL

A letter from Arran, of the 13th instant, says,

“that on dressing the corpse of the lady drowned in the sloop FARMER, of Kincardine, wrecked off Lamlash, there was found rolled up in her hair a silver medal, with the following inscription – ‘Waterford Orange Lodge, No. 286, presented to Jos. Beggs, a worthy brother.’

The vessel went on shore about 8 o’clock at night, at low water; and it is rather extraordinary that the people should have perished, as she is not above 20 yards from the shore on a fine and sand bottom. The vessel’s deck is still seen at low water. She was bound from Glasgow to Newry with coals.”
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
29 FEBRUARY 1928

DEATH OF MOTHER AND CHILD – HUSBAND ARRESTED

Following the discovery of the bodies of a woman and a child in a stream near West Kilbride, Ayrshire, an Irishman named NEIL FRIELL, husband of the woman, has been taken into custody by the Ayrshire Police.

He was charged before Sheriff Martin Laing at Kilmarnock Sheriff Court yesterday, with having murdered his wife and child by drowning them, and was remanded in custody pending further investigation.

The discovery of this tragedy has created considerable excitement throughout Ayrshire.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald
April 1, 1882

Letter to the editor

I've been wondering if the date of publication is significant? :puter :think:

Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
6 MARCH 1906

WEST KILBRIDE TRAMWAY SCHEME

At a large meeting of the inhabitants of West Kilbride, held in the Public Hall on Friday evening, having been called by bill for the consideration of the proposed North Ayrshire tramway scheme, Provost Blakely, of Saltcoats, spoke, and thereafter J. I. McArthur, moved a resolution to the effect that the meeting approve of the proposed tramways as having of great service to the community.

Mr. D. A. Boyd, of Seamill, moved an amendment to the effect that, in view of the petition of proprietors and occupiers in West Kilbride and Seamill against the tramways, the meeting did not see its way to express approval of the tramways between Ardrossan and Portencross.

The amendment was carried by a large majority, but the Chairman did not announce the numbers of those voting.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Hughie wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:01 am Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald
April 1, 1882

Letter to the editor

I've been wondering if the date of publication is significant? :puter :think:

In Scotland, April Fools' Day was traditionally called 'Huntigowk Day',[12] although this name has fallen into disuse.[citation needed] The name is a corruption of 'Hunt the Gowk', "gowk" being Scots for a cuckoo or a foolish person; alternative terms in Gaelic would be Là na Gocaireachd, 'gowking day', or Là Ruith na Cuthaige, 'the day of running the cuckoo'. The traditional prank is to ask someone to deliver a sealed message that supposedly requests help of some sort. In fact, the message reads "Dinna laugh, dinna smile. Hunt the gowk another mile." The recipient, upon reading it, will explain he can only help if he first contacts another person, and sends the victim to this next person with an identical message, with the same result.[12]

Wikipedia
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
23 MARCH 1905

LAUNCH OF BARON ARDROSSAN

Messrs A. Rodger & Company, Port Glasgow, launch today the large cargo steamer BARON ARDROSSAN, built for Messrs Hugh Hogarth & Sons, Glasgow.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
30 MARCH 1904

BOY SENT TO REFORMATORY

At a special sitting of Irvine J.P. Court held yesterday afternoon a boy of 15 years, named THOMAS JAMES WEST, was sent for three years to Stranraer Reformatory for entering Gailes Western Golf Club, and stealing three golf balls.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

A wee bit late with this:

March 31, 1893

The Provost's Lamp.

Maister Editor, --- It's no very aften I trouble ye wi' a scart o' the pen, but there's a thing happened in oor toon the noo that has fairly risen up ma birse, Ye'll maybe no ken that we ha'e got a Provost's lamp erected in the Main Street, an' a bonnie bit lamp it is. Mony a time I keek at it when I'm gaun bye tae ma wark i' the mornin'. It got tae be a kind o' familiar Landmark i' the toon, but a'e nicht last week I was takin' my road hame an' when aboot half way doon the street I thocht I missed the glintin' o' the lamp.

Noo, l'll gie ye a bit o' a secret. I admit I stappit in tae John Clark's public-hoose an' had a dram, but I never jaloused is wad ha'e this effect on me. I have heard o' men seein' double when they happened tae cairry ower muckle liquor, but John Clarke's whuky seemed tae ha'e the opposite effect on me, for insteed o' seein' twa Provost's Iamps I didna see ony ata, an' I cam' tae the conclusion that I wad better stop ma custom at ma freen' John Clark's if that was gaun tae be the effect o' drinkin' his usquebaugh.

Sae I jist slippit past the Provost's door determined tae say naething about it tae Betty ma wife. Hooever, jist as I was in the middle o' ma ham an' egg, Betty says-"Did ye hear onthing aboot the Provost lamp! I un'erstaun' it has been lifted an' put doon afore the new Provost's hoose." "No." says I, "is that a fact? Weel, Betty, if I had thocht the lamp was tae be harled aboot the toon like that I wad ha'e keepit the hauf-croon in my pooch when they cam' tae me for a subscription. I jalouse they'll be pittin' it up by- an' bye afore Johnnie McQueen's hoose or maybe Maister O'Connor's."

Noo, Maister Editor, I'm no a haun at the pen ava, but ma bluid was fairly up when I missed ma frien', the lamp, next mornin', an' I thocht I wad let aff some steam in your paper. I ken that "letters tae the editor" disna pay ye like advertisement, but ye'll maybe give this yin a sma' corner in the Herald. This question o' the lamp is a question o' fair play, an' the fact is I'll demand back ma hauf-croon if the lamp is gaun tae be Wauerin' Wullie. I understood the lamp was tae be a present tae Provost Wylie himsel', an' as faur as I can mak' oot the maist feck o' the subscribers thocht the same. I'm thinkin' there will be a bonnie rippit kickit up in the toon if this business is no tae be settled honestly and fairly. ---

Yours, &c., Habbie.
Kilwinning.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Irvine & Fullarton Times
June 21, 1889

Had too Much Drink in her.

Elizabeth McCourt or Butler was yesterday charged before Ballie Hay with having on the day previously, stolen six yards of flannel from the house of a neighbour, Robt. McCrorie's in John Street.

The prisoner admitted that she had too much drink in her. It was her first offence. Ten days imprisonment. She was led through the corridor with two little children clinging to her skirts. :cry: :smt102

(Surely that's not the whole story - very sad)
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Hughie wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:07 am A wee bit late with this:

March 31, 1893

The Provost's Lamp.

Maister Editor, --- It's no very aften I trouble ye wi' a scart o' the pen, but there's a thing happened in oor toon the noo that has fairly risen up ma birse, Ye'll maybe no ken that we ha'e got a Provost's lamp erected in the Main Street, an' a bonnie bit lamp it is. Mony a time I keek at it when I'm gaun bye tae ma wark i' the mornin'. It got tae be a kind o' familiar Landmark i' the toon, but a'e nicht last week I was takin' my road hame an' when aboot half way doon the street I thocht I missed the glintin' o' the lamp.

Noo, l'll gie ye a bit o' a secret. I admit I stappit in tae John Clark's public-hoose an' had a dram, but I never jaloused is wad ha'e this effect on me. I have heard o' men seein' double when they happened tae cairry ower muckle liquor, but John Clarke's whuky seemed tae ha'e the opposite effect on me, for insteed o' seein' twa Provost's Iamps I didna see ony ata, an' I cam' tae the conclusion that I wad better stop ma custom at ma freen' John Clark's if that was gaun tae be the effect o' drinkin' his usquebaugh.

Sae I jist slippit past the Provost's door determined tae say naething about it tae Betty ma wife. Hooever, jist as I was in the middle o' ma ham an' egg, Betty says-"Did ye hear onthing aboot the Provost lamp! I un'erstaun' it has been lifted an' put doon afore the new Provost's hoose." "No." says I, "is that a fact? Weel, Betty, if I had thocht the lamp was tae be harled aboot the toon like that I wad ha'e keepit the hauf-croon in my pooch when they cam' tae me for a subscription. I jalouse they'll be pittin' it up by- an' bye afore Johnnie McQueen's hoose or maybe Maister O'Connor's."

Noo, Maister Editor, I'm no a haun at the pen ava, but ma bluid was fairly up when I missed ma frien', the lamp, next mornin', an' I thocht I wad let aff some steam in your paper. I ken that "letters tae the editor" disna pay ye like advertisement, but ye'll maybe give this yin a sma' corner in the Herald. This question o' the lamp is a question o' fair play, an' the fact is I'll demand back ma hauf-croon if the lamp is gaun tae be Wauerin' Wullie. I understood the lamp was tae be a present tae Provost Wylie himsel', an' as faur as I can mak' oot the maist feck o' the subscribers thocht the same. I'm thinkin' there will be a bonnie rippit kickit up in the toon if this business is no tae be settled honestly and fairly. ---

Yours, &c., Habbie.
Kilwinning.
Who was this Guy... Sheer Brilliance.