Scavengers / wildlife outside of 3T's

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Alexmac442
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Scavengers / wildlife outside of 3T's

Post by Alexmac442 »

Hi Brian., I think you can get a spray which deters cats/dogs, I am sure someone will know what and where. Cats unchecked AND fed will multiply rapidly, I remember when working in the Libyan desert in the 90's we had an explosion of cats mainly because BRIT expats were feeding them. The field manager told me to do something so I warned all the guys that if they got caught feeding cats they would get fired, but it did not stop them so the manager (Libyan of course) sent out for poison. I refused to lay the poison but my back to back did and dozens of cats died, worst thing was the stink! A really horrible thing to do but in a remote location with no RSPCA something had to be done.
I would suggest another call to the RSPCA and if that fails maybe try Public Health people.
Alex
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

probably cheaper and easier and kinder..to have them fixed. I've taken in more than my share of cats. They seem, like I read about, burglars, beggars..to have a code to leave behind..easy pickins, ..lol! So many cats come into my garden and have litters. Placed many in good homes, kept the rest, indoors. I'm tired oot wi' daily litterbox cldeaning..then there's the dugs and the wee cockatiel..jeez ah need a holiday!

But for me, the worst thing would not have been the stink but the dead cats.. :(
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Australia's small marsupials are paying the price for abandoned cats. :(
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Hughie, I get quite annoyed at people who don't have their cats spayed or neutered and let them roam free. Over the years I've taken in so many, kept those I couldn't find homes for and kept them indoors. Our family never had cats, gran was very superstitious and to her they were harbingers. My husband's family not cat people either. We were 'dog folk'. Ironically both my husband and my daughter seem to attract them. I call my daughter the cat magnet, they absolutely love her.

What are the small marsupials?
C.S.Lewis
Alexmac442
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Alexmac442 »

Morag., I agree wholeheartedly about getting cats (and dogs) "cut" both of ours are, but not everyone can afford to do it. Especially out here where many poor people not only can't afford it but there are very few vets around. I had to take my dogs 60 kms to a vet.
Just tonight I saw 8 dogs chasing one poor small bitch in heat all over the market area, felt really sorry for her.
By the way marsupials are animals which have "pouches" for their young, e.g. Kangaroos, wallabies.
Alex
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Just wondering what were considered small marsupials Alex.
Here they have got a lot better about making affordable spay/neuter. There is a group who will come trap feral cats, spay/neuter them and return them to their area. For free. I've read though, that feral groups have a hierarchy and such cats may be seen as outcats, sorry outcasts! A vet charge is @ $150-200 but some give discounts and usually vaccines, health check included. In my city cats are required to have rabies shots and be licenced like dogs. It seems responsible folk like me pay the price whilst those who let their pets loose ...

Maybe you could start or encourage an awareness group? Get some attention going and the gov might step in? :)
C.S.Lewis
Alexmac442
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Alexmac442 »

Morag. You are a very kind animal lover but unfortunately this is Thailand!!!! If I advertised for a group as you say, I would get a dozen "volunteers" immediately who would happily help me round up strays and persuade owners to let us take them. Only problem is we would never see the animals again!!! $150 bucks here is in many cases a MONTH's salary. "gov step in"????? Not a good idea for me to comment on that in open forum, that should give you all a clue.
Alex
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

You might see them again.. in the meat market..
I thought the latest gov in Thailand was more progressive?
There is a vet nearby who only charges $25 - 30, but for first time clients only, so with my ongoing adopting I'd need a bunch of aliases and new addresses and new credit cards! Lol!
The irony being this area was all orchards until it was developed so there is a substantial rat problem. If my garden was cat / dog escape proof and I let them free to go, the rats would not be a problem..but then, I'd feel bad for the rats..
C.S.Lewis
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Letting the dog out before bedtime I'm pretty sure I saw a bat! But it was very light coloured, creamy or light grey. My daughter gets home late most nights and says she has heard them squeaking. I've got a bat house, had it for years now, need to get my son to affix it to an appropriate part of the house, high enough for their swooping outgoing and where it won't get too hot. I'm so excited! (doesn't take much, eh? Lol!)
C.S.Lewis
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Morag, I don't think its a scavenger?, I had to video a hedgehog in the front garden Tuesday night so i could post it to my daughter, who loves hedgehoggies . She is looking forward to moving into her new house and has a hedgehog house, all ready to go. :D

ps - I used my misses phone to video , and after a wee while i stopped as i thought the camera light was scaring the poor thing .

I don't know where Alfie the dog was but he would have ran away anyway, He is scared as anything :lol:
irejim9
Settling In
Settling In

Post by irejim9 »

something unusual in my garden. while weeding I found 80g eggs hidden in flowerpots and among the geraniums. I threw one onto the lawn and a big crow came down caught up in his beak and flew away. Playing golf crows used to take our golfballs but I never heard of them bringing eggs to a garden. 4 in the garden at the moment,
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

We have a permanent woodpecker in the garden although we have never heard him pecking the trees! This year the pheasants have come back, we had three last week, two females and a male. They come and go. We have foxes too but only at night along with the bats so not easy to see. It's a pleasure to see all this wildlife around, the children enjoy it so much. :)