Poll - Does Scotland really want to go it alone?

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines

Do you think Scotland should separate from Britain?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:49 pm

Yes, I'd like to see Scotland separate from Britain.
52%
No, I'd like to see Scotland stay part of Britain.
42%
Undecided but realise I can change my vote within the next 90 days. Depends on the debate - come on convince me.
6%

Total votes: 93

Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Poll - Does Scotland really want to go it alone?

Post by Hughie »

Being born and raised in Scotland yet living most of my life here in Australia I'm wondering if my fellow Scots no matter where they now live would like to see Scotland separate from the rest of Britain?

Record your vote above. If debate makes you rethink your vote change it - poll runs for the next three months.
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Poll - Does Scotland really want to go it alone?

Post by Retsum »

I hope my fellow Scots will, this time, have the courage to grab this opportunity and we can change laments and dirges to 'odes to joy'. Personally I would also like to see expats given the opportunity to vote, if they wanted to.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Retsum wrote:Personally I would also like to see expats given the opportunity to vote, if they wanted to.
By default all logged on members can vote, even expats. :wink:
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Retsum wrote:I hope my fellow Scots will, this time, have the courage to grab this opportunity and we can change laments and dirges to 'odes to joy'. Personally I would also like to see expats given the opportunity to vote, if they wanted to.
Totally agree!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

I want to hear all the pros and cons regarding the break up of the united kingdom before I make up my mind on how to vote. There are too many big questions that so far have not been answered by the snp. Right now I'm for the union, and I'm wondering what will happen to the snp if the vote goes in their favour, what banner will they fight under at elections, if their main object is realised (independance) will they then breakup into left right and centre parties.
I don't trust Alec Salmond, he is too slippery by far for my liking, and gives a very simplistic view of what is likely to be like any divorce protracted and bitter with disputes over the assets.

Hughie is it possible for your poll to show how it is made up? ie how many expats vote for the breakup of the uk against the votes of those living in the uk? :roll:
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

morag wrote:
Retsum wrote:I hope my fellow Scots will, this time, have the courage to grab this opportunity and we can change laments and dirges to 'odes to joy'. Personally I would also like to see expats given the opportunity to vote, if they wanted to.
Totally agree!
Not with the expats bit though, no vote if you don't have to live with the outcome. I doubt if an independent Scotland would have been involved in Iraq, Afghanistan etc. etc., and I don't trust Westminster to do what is right for Britain, and I can barely tolerate David Cameron. I'd like to see all the union countries with their own parliament and maybe have a situation something like the EU where members from each country meet occasionally to discuss mutual problems. It seems there's been interest in forming a kind of Nordic union with Scandinavian countries. :o
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

meekan wrote:Hughie is it possible for your poll to show how it is made up? ie how many expats vote for the breakup of the uk against the votes of those living in the uk? :roll:
A bit late to change it now, Angus. But the referendum is not for another two years. So nearer the time we can have another poll along the following or similar lines. :wink:

I vote YES and live in Scotland
I vote NO and live in Scotland

I vote YES and don't live in Scotland
I vote NO and don't live in Scotland
The Scottish Government intends to hold a referendum of the Scottish electorate on the issue of independence from the United Kingdom in the autumn of 2014. The Referendum Bill is a proposed parliamentary bill to set out the arrangements for this referendum.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I'm all for complete Independence and a vote a.s.a.p.
But if we end up with this,"glorified council", for another term with increased powers then those powers
should be increased as much as possible. I like Meekan's idea of the "double poll" and the way Hughie has
set out the example. Have to agree with Morag 100%, no vote for ex-pat's, they don't have to live with the
outcome. Anyway, they were the wise one's, they had the foresight to get out of here. Well put, Morag.
Although I am pro Independence and always have been, I also have one or two concerns regarding wee Eck
and the SNP. I will always vote for the SNP until we get Independence as I see them as the only party
capable of delivering it but, on achieving Independence, I will then see what's on offer before deciding who
will get my votes. The SNP' approach to Crime & Punishment is far to lenient and their "policy" of wanting
to retain the monarchy, as head of state, does not sit with me being a republican.
Plus, It is a fact, you do not have a TRUE democracy if you have a unelected head of state.
I think wee Eck is after a knighthood ????? :lol:
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Not sure if scotland will have cash. Must look further into all this, before deciding.
Last edited by Vivc113 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
Richard

Post by Richard »

Viv:
Scotland has more than enough "cash" to pay her own way.
This has been proven time after time so don't go letting that be a concern & clouding your judgement.

What did you hear about wee Eck ? Go on...share, I dare you ?
If your very careful how you word thing's, you can't be done for "slander".
To simply leave it at; Oh, I heard something fae a wee woman at a bus stop, could be seen as muck
spreading just for the sake of it and worse than what you actually heard.
You've got me intrigued now. Come on, spill the beans. Let us all in on it ?
If you word it properly you will, at the very best, help others to make an informed decision and that
would greatly contribute to the debate OR at the very least, if it's not that important, you will give
us all a laugh. So, again, go on and be a devil...spill :)
Just be careful how you word it and you'll be as safe as houses.
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

I think you are being mischievous, Richard, and I hope Viv does not rise to your challenge. In fact I would hope she would edit her original post to remove the reference dodgy things and a lady at a bus stop. The referendum is not about a party or a person but whether or not WE want Scotland to be an independent nation and the result will long outlive any individual currently involved in the debate.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Can't seem to edit now. Must be because it is posts from yesterday. i don't suppose any dodgy things will be worse than richard alexander. ;-)
Last edited by Vivc113 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".