Is there sectarianism in the 3Ts?

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Is there sectarianism in the 3Ts?

Post by Jim McCreadie »

I was born & raised a "left footer" but, as a teenager, my BEST mate was an Orangeman who shall remain nameless as he still lives locally. He attended my wedding ceremony at St Brendans and I admired him greatly for that! Neither religion nor [list=][/list]football entered into our friendship and neither did either set of parents. //perfect
Q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'30"E

"What language are you talking in now? It appears to be Bo**ocks."
imajrk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by imajrk »

I"ve lived in Canada for 30 years, and am glad that I'm removed from all the religious bigotry that I was brought up with. It took me many years to realise that people were just people and there was no reason to avoid them because of their religious beliefs. I married someone of a different faith and it's never been a problem for us. But the other night I watched a youtube video of the Orange Walk, and can't believe this is still allowed. It bothered me to see little boys marching, and I realised the bigotry I hate is still being passed from generation to generation. I went to Stevenston High School, by the way.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

The greater Glasgow region was / is rife with it..I'm just glad there were / are so many of us that chose friends for who they were and not which foot they kicked with. I probably had more non Catholic pals than Catholics, married a non Catholic..raised my kids Catholic. Don't go to church anymore, nor do they, but I still pray for anything and everything and everyone daily..figure it's a vast universe and has to have some point to it, plus..what do I have to lose? I hope there is life after death, would love to meet up with all my lost ones again. :(
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

morag wrote:The greater Glasgow region was / is rife with it..I'm just glad there were / are so many of us that chose friends for who they were and not which foot they kicked with. I probably had more non Catholic pals than Catholics, married a non Catholic..raised my kids Catholic. Don't go to church anymore, nor do they, but I still pray for anything and everything and everyone daily..figure it's a vast universe and has to have some point to it, plus..what do I have to lose? I hope there is life after death, would love to meet up with all my lost ones again. :(
Cheer up Morag is no like you , You keep us all happy :lol:
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

It's ma curse an' ma saving grace, Brian, Lol! Oh, look, ma leg jist fell aff! hahahah..oops, there goes wan o' ma een! :) Ye wurnie et the dauncin' last week, hud tae partner the wee mon in the 'skirt'.. ;)
C.S.Lewis
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

om already on a Yellow card Morag so ah better keep it short. off topic and all that lol . ah got ah funny feeling you are courting that horrendous Little plum he dont wear a kilt surely ? :lol:
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

LP's wifie wid bat me silly..sillier than ah ah'm noo! But wee Plum in a kilt is gonny burn a hole in ma brain...thanks! And, here, tae keep it on topic, LP isn't sectarian, and most of my pals in the 3toons weren't, but jobs, etc, were given preferentially, depending on religion, or handshake..
C.S.Lewis
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Nigeria has a much bigger problem muslims and christians blowing up each others temples of worships.Buddists and Muslims killing each other in burma. Sunni and shiites have always fought in middle east. Jews and Palestinians conflicts in many years.
Us lot should consider wan self fortunate. They will always be wars, fact of life.
Rangers V Celtic mickey mouse.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

It's rather sad that those who fight and create wars for religion don't actually follow the rules of their religion.
C.S.Lewis
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

morag wrote:LP's wifie wid bat me silly..sillier than ah ah'm noo! But wee Plum in a kilt is gonny burn a hole in ma brain...thanks! And, here, tae keep it on topic, LP isn't sectarian, and most of my pals in the 3toons weren't, but jobs, etc, were given preferentially, depending on religion, or handshake..
Might interest you to know Morag that had you shifted to South Australia in the 1950's to late 70's that as a left fitter ye would have been given prefrential treatment when applying to join the State Public Service, same with joining the private TV stations as an entertainer. (The latter was Australia wide in the capital cities). I know the first from eventually working in personnel in the Public Service. The second was found out as a result of research by media studies students at a local university. So it can sometimes work the other way. Now at least in the Public Service it is sectarian - its who you sleep with that counts from what I am told. By the time I finished up it was certainly an advantage to be an Ellen Degeneris fan, at least in the biggest Department I worked in if you know what I mean. Alistair
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Aye..I've entertained mony here .. only tae find oot 'what did your mum say?' lol But I get yer drift...if ye want tae succeed get a toothless budgie..or bend over..
C.S.Lewis
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Morag , I have never if heard any of my four children speak about Catholics or Protestant.They are all born in England so they consider themselves English :evil: :lol: My daughter has been winching a boy from the Bangladesh who visits my home most evenings.I am not a bigot or a racist. Scots yes : and proud.