Eglinton School, Ardrossan

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Eglinton School, Ardrossan

Post by George Ardrossan »

The photo below of Eglinton School, Ardrossan was taken in June 1972. Does anyone know the dates when it opened and closed, please?

Thanks.

George
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Eglinton School, Ardrossan

Post by Penny Tray »

George,

I think it opened in 1876. The date was on the front of the building somewhere if I remember correctly, probably just above the main door. My guess for the closing date would be 1963, probably the same date Stanley School opened because there was a transfer of pupils.

And it's a great photo by the way. The classroom on the corner nearest us was my last in the State schooling system.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

George,

At first I thought your question was straightforward. Not necessarily so. No one on the Threetowners Locals and Expats list claims to have been at Eglinton beyond 1963. However, one person claims to have been at Stanley Primary in 1961, making me wonder if a Primary Section opened before the transfer of Eglinton Secondary pupils?
Also someone claims to have attended St. Peters/Eglinton until 1969, reminding me of its continued use after it theoretically ceased to be Eglinton?
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Penny Tray wrote:George,

However, one person claims to have been at Stanley Primary in 1961, making me wonder if a Primary Section opened before the transfer of Eglinton Secondary pupils?
Stanley School opened in 1963 - and it was after the summer holidays - so it would have been the end of August (we had 8 weeks holidays then) - Canfactory and I went into Primary 5 that year. The school didn't open til then.

Meg
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Meg,

That is my recollection too - Eglinton ceasing to be at the summer break 1963 and Stanley opening as a combined primary/secondary after the summer holiday.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Penny Tray wrote:Meg,

That is my recollection too - Eglinton ceasing to be at the summer break 1963 and Stanley opening as a combined primary/secondary after the summer holiday.
PT - Stanley's school motto was Study Strive and Serve - Ardrossan Academy was Ad Astra - but I dont remember Winton or Eglinton having a motto - mind you apart from the uniform being brown and gold for Winton, I dont remember what the badge looked like - was Eglinton's uniform the same colour?

Meg
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Meg,

I don't remember Eglinton having a uniform or motto. Winton had a brown uniform. I think the motto was ENDEAVOUR and if this works, maybe a little bit out of focus, this is the badge:
Attachments
Image001.jpg
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Fantastic PT - I just dont remember the badge at all. I am sure Eglinton had a school uniform, but I dont remember it. I was at a school last week in Ayr and they have about 95% of the kids wearning school uniform - its lovely to see.
Rowanside
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Rowanside »

I was in the last "Qualifying"class under the tuition of Mrs Seggie,then went to the academy.Stanley opened the following year,Eglinton then became St Peters primary until the new one was built on Dalry Rd.
JammyDodger
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JammyDodger »

Rowanside wrote:I was in the last "Qualifying"class under the tuition of Mrs Seggie,then went to the academy.Stanley opened the following year,Eglinton then became St Peters primary until the new one was built on Dalry Rd.
I'm sure Eglinton was only used for a couple years as St Peter's. I started St Peter's at the Annexe in Ailsa Gardens, in Feb 1970 and that was the last year it was used as the school was moved to the shore front. I don't think it was big enough to accommodate everyone, so until they built some huts and a new dinning/gym hall, the Primary 7's went to Eglinton, before going onto to the Academy. I'm sure it only lasted a few years like that, then everyone was at the same school by the sea. That was actually really good fun, especially in the summer if you had a good teacher, as they would take you over the shore, one actually let us go swimming (which wouldn't be allowed today.) The new school in Dalry Road opened in 1995/96 I think. Donna
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

I recall Eglintons blazer being brown with gold badge which I believe had a castle or turret on it probably signifying
Ardrossan castle.

Robert
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

JammyDodger wrote:
Rowanside wrote:I'm sure Eglinton was only used for a couple years as St Peter's. I started St Peter's at the Annexe in Ailsa Gardens, in Feb 1970 and that was the last year it was used as the school was moved to the shore front. ... The new school in Dalry Road opened in 1995/96 I think. Donna
I have been told that Saint Peter's moved to the Eglinton building in June 1967 and Donna suggests that they may have moved out in June 1970. The new Saint Peter's School in South Isle Road opened in October 1995. Penny Tray says that Eglinton School opened in 1876 and closed in 1963.

Thanks to everyone who helped with dates.

George