Where were you born - Topic for September 2009

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.

Where were you born? if you spent anytime as a resident of the three towns please cast your vote.

Ardrossan
11%
Saltcoats
13%
Stevenston
15%
Buckreddan Maternity Home in Kilwinning
24%
Irvine Central Hospital
24%
Elsewhere in Scotland
9%
Elsewhere in the UK or Ireland
4%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 92

Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Where were you born - Topic for September 2009

Post by Hughie »

Even if you don't post, please add your vote to our poll above.

For mothers from the three towns, giving birth during the days of Buckredden Maternity home the following for the most part should hold true.

1. If there was a chance of complications, chances are you'd be born at Irvine Central Hospital.
2. If no forseen complications, first born would normally be at Buckredden Maternity Home in Kilwinning.
3. If your mother had earlier births with no complications then you'd most likely be born at home.
4. If you were expected as one of twins, then it was most likely you'd be born at Irvine Central.

I was the fourth born and came into the world at 11 Whitlees Crescent in Ardrossan during WW2. The mid-wife was said to be a lady by the name of McBride a sister of our next door neighbour, Jeanie Paterson. My aunt Elsie now in Hastings, England was present, Oh aye! My mammy was there too ... :D

Where were you born and who delivered you?
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Where were you born - Topic for September 2009

Post by morag »

I was born in Lincolnshire at home. A midwife was present. Apparently the umbilical cord was 'round my neck so I kept getting pulled back 'in'! My grampa went out to get some brandy for my mum and I'd arrived when he got back.
Funny, I've always had a wee bit weirdness aboot ma belly button! :lol: When I heard the story it made sense!
n
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

I was born in Buckreddan - although the youngest of 5, my mum was almost 40 when I was born, so it was decided to take her to Kilwinning just in case ...

Meg
bobbydarg
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobbydarg »

I was born in Buckreddan, I was the second in a family of 5, there was 10 years between my older sister and me. My mum had two of my younger sisters at home.
be nice to your children, they'll pick your care home
Anne
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Anne »

I was born in Irvine Central , my three siblings were all born at home. I was a week old before they decided on a name for me, the nurses called my 'the nameless lass' Eventually I was given my Father's Mothers full name, which for years really annoyed meas it is quite a mouthful. Now I am so pleased and I have a nice set of initials.

Anne
Als4m1955
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Als4m1955 »

I was born and lived in Stevenston, played in the graveyard on New Street, weird thing to remember. loved the Stevenston shore. Played along the railway line on Limekiln Rd. There was the sweetie shop and the chip shop on, street name I forget. Went to the High Kirk, after we moved. My grandfather lived on the Manse Brae hoose outside the High Kirk gates. What was the other church at the shore called? I do not remember. Anyone remember, Patrick's the fishmonger near the station gate. I would go there on my bike before school to get the best fish. I loved going to Saltcoats, lots happening there, Hamilton Street, meeting all the boys. I lived with my aunt and uncle on Vernon St. while I attended Ardrossan Academt, My grandparents lived in Ardrossan. I danced at the Castlecraigs in Ardrossan, played on the Castle hill many a time. Loved all three towns. Molly Park
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Als4m1955 wrote:My grandfather lived on the Manse Brae hoose outside the High Kirk gates.
Hi Molly, there's a photo and a post relating to the High Kirk gatehouse in this topic: http://threetowners.net/forum/viewtopic ... 657#p24657"
Wee Shuggie
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Wee Shuggie »

I was born in my grandmothers house at 162 Glasgow Street Ardrossan just as WW2 was coming to an end.I believe that there was a doctor in attendance but most of the work was done by my Mum of course and 'Granny'Gillen.'Granny Gillen whilst not a trained midwife had delivered more babies than anyone else in the town.She lived in 175 Glasgow Street my home address.
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

The Place for me was No. 7 Quay Street, Saltcoats above the Pub. Not sure whether I was born or hatched but I was the number 3 boy out of 4. Like Wee Shuggie my debut was just before the end of the war. Rumour has it that when Hitler found out a few days later that I had come into the world, the presure was too much for him and he done himself in.

Wee Boney
oliver prin
Settling In
Settling In

Post by oliver prin »

Born in Irvine central Hospital middle name Irvine
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Wee Shuggie wrote:and 'Granny'Gillen.'Granny Gillen whilst not a trained midwife had delivered more babies than anyone else in the town.She lived in 175 Glasgow Street my home address.
Granny Gillen was actually my friend's great grandmother - and I remember going to her house in Glasgow Street one new year, she made ginger wine with Brandy and gave a wee glass to everybody - aged 5 or 55. She really was a legend in Ardrossan - she never turned anyone away from her door - and there was a cup of tea and a bite to eat to those that needed it. Not many of those kind to a pound is there

Meg
Aileen Shaw
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Aileen Shaw »

Hi
I was born in Irvine Central, on a snowy morning at 1.45am. I was a breech baby and my dad always said I was a pain in the ****, jokeingly he really did love me.
Aileen