A Stroll round 1960s Saltcoats

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: A Stroll round 1960s Saltcoats

Post by down south »

We've already looked at the shops at the far end of Canal Street on this side, Drever's and McCauley's the joiner. So instead of going back that way I'll head up Guthrie Road into the hinterland . There are several more numbers marked by Scott here: No 6 sited at Rockyknowe; No 10 on the corner of Parkend and Gladstone Roads; and No 7 beside the bridge over the Caley railway at Townhead Road. So what were all of these?

Susan
Scott McCallum
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Scott McCallum »

There were loads of wee shops around in the Sixties. The one on Guthrie Brae and the one on the top of the Caley Railway bridge were both wee cabins. To my recollection they only sold sweets (penny tray?) but they probably also did some groceries. At the corner of Gladstone Road and Parkend Road was a dentist - Willie Burns maybe.

Scott McCallum - Glasgow
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

You're right about the dentist, Scott; I've just found him in the 1967 phone book: W Burns, Dental Surgeon, at 72 Parkend Road.

Another business round there, though only from the early seventies, was a garage in Wyllie Road: Hunterston Car Hire, though they did much more than just hire cars as you can see from their advertisements.
Hunterston Car Hire 1974.jpg

It is less than a year since Hunterston Car Hire and Sales opened their saleroom at Wyllie Road, Saltcoats, but in that short time they have built up a reputation for supplying good second-hand cars at very attractive prices.
Frequently the cars are offered up to £200 below the recognised price and purchasers are safeguarded by an offer that if anyone buys a car and returns it to the firm within 48 hours the car will be repaired or replaced with a similar type of car.

In charge of the saleroom is Matt Roberton who has had considerable experience of the trade both in this country and abroad and is able to give expert advice to intending purchasers.

All cars offered for sale are checked before they go into the showroom and Hunterston Car Hire and Sales have facilities for hire purchase and insurance of vehicles.

They also operate a car valeting service which is attractive to a man who needs his car to look spick and span. Charges. according to size but a full valet service for a car the size of a Viva is about £5.

New cars can also be supplied and Hunterston Car Sales have on offer most of the Vauxhall range at prices considerably below the current market price. They can also supply the Bedford range of commercial vehicles up to 35cwt.

Another service offered by the firm is hiring of cars and vans. They have a wide range of these vehicles on offer at attractive terms.

Advertising feature, Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, April 1975

Hunterston Car Hire.jpg
There's still a garage business there today, which looks as though it may be using some of the same premises.

Susan
westendcafe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by westendcafe »

down south wrote:Thanks for that , Sam.

A cafe on Ross' corner was certainly nothing new, as you can see in this picture dating from what looks like the early years of the twentieth century. " Refreshments " is what's written above the door :
At Green St corner early 1900s.jpg
Hi Susan, I know that it is long time since this was posted. The cafe in the picture on the corner prior to Ross' was Cavani's run by my grandfather and his brother. I have a copy of the photograph on here as well as a copy of advert for this cafe and another that they had in Chapelwell Street before my grandfather opened the cafe in Hamilton Street.
"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Thanks for that terrific piece of information, John. I'd never thought before about what history Cavani's might have had before the days of the West End Cafe; suppose I thought it had always been in the same place. Here's the picture in question:

Dockhead St at Green St corner early 1900s.jpg

Susan
Last edited by down south on Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

I see there's another business marked No 9 , up at Cuddy Park. A name I've seen a few memories of before as a favourite playground for local youngsters.

And the old Public Park over the railway bridge must have been another familiar place of resort for nearby residents like Scott. Where once upon a time Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show rode the range....but what was it like in the sixties ?

Susan
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

Gambles or Gambols not sure of the spelling was the wee wooden grocery shop at the Cuddy park on Gladstone Road. Wee Ali
Scott McCallum
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Scott McCallum »

saltcoats2-1_zps21e02a7b.jpg
As we are moving away from the area of the wee map, this is the list of what I can remember.

1. Mr. Smett’s General Store.
2. Chip Shop (laterly Harry Ramadans).
3. Biaggi’s Ice Cream Factory.
4. General Store.
5. Don’t know.
6. Sweet shop cabin.
7. Sweet shop cabin.
8. General Store (laterly Chinese take-away).
9. Mr. Gamble’s General Store. Sub-post office.
10. Mr. Burns the Dentist.
11. Veronica’s newsagent.
12. Bridge Café then Corrina’s hairdresser.
13. Mr. Drever’s General Store.
14. Joiner.
15. (Old) Argyle Bar.
16. Garage.
17. New Argyle/ Maple Leaf/ Silver Sands Hotels then Seabank nursing home. Once the Lanarkshire Miners’ Home
18. Terry Erskine’s barber shop.
19. Alex White’s fruit and vegetable store.
20. Bookmaker’s shop.
21. Across the road from the bookmaker was a slater (not on the map).

I used to walk across the public park at Kerr Ave on my way to primary school (after the school moved to Jacks Road). They had a circus here once or twice after the Braes was developed but I don't remember it being laid out for any type of sports pitch - just a big expanse of grass. There was a shop at the corner where Smith Drive meets Millar Road.

Scott McCallum - Glasgow
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I'd an uncle who raised budgies, he did quite well in shows. Seems to me at one time I went to an event with him and I think it took place near the Melbourne, big tent erected etc..also have a hazy memory of e..girl guide cook off, same place, we made Welsh rarebit..ie. in Scotland, a wee bit fancy cheese toast. Got second! lol!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Willie Burns was my Dentist ,then he moved to Countess St. Believe Alex White stayed near that garage at one time.

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Thanks all of you.

I'll be coming back through the Parkend area shortly, but first lest I be accused of missing out anywhere,I just thought while I'm hereabouts I'd cover any remaining landmarks in the area between the Caley railway and the High Road. Of which the only one I know, is the parade of shops on Old Raise Road. I would guess this one that's there today is a replacement and there was an older row there in the sixties:

http://www.google.com/maps?q=Saltcoats, ... 0.2,,0,0.2

The two shops I know of that were there, since I have adverts for them, are these; Hadden's the chemists; and a branch of Thomson the butchers, though that ceased to be mentioned on their receipts by about the mid-sixties.

Hadden chemist.JPG

J and T Thomson.JPG

I expect there were others; does anyone know any of them ? And are there any other notable landmarks round here that should be mentioned ?

Susan
Last edited by down south on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Don't know if it was there in the sixties but in the early seventies the driver test centre was part of the shop complex.margb