A Stroll round 1960s Saltcoats

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: A Stroll round 1960s Saltcoats

Post by down south »

At my rate of typing, it would probably take me another four years to sort out a version for publication ! So I'm not rushing to volunteer either...

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Just to prove that the Stroll will never really be finished, here's a little Seventies supplement ; a few further advertisements that I've come across in old papers since I "visited " the spots concerned, and which detail a few developments in local shops and businesses that happened after I left town.

In the case of these first three, putting them together tells a complete story.

The first one is the opening of a new record shop in Countess Street in June 1974. From the address, next door to Howie's bakery, I would guess it might have been in the former Patrick's toyshop...or maybe even included Howie's shop itself, since the business had ceased by then.
Record Shop1974.jpg
And this one tells you part of the story behind that new shop; that the owners had lured away the manager of Underwood's Music Shop, and they understandably weren't best pleased about it.
Music Shop 1974.jpg
There's also some interest in noting the address here, because it makes clear that the Music Shop had moved from its old home in Hamilton Street to 53 Dockhead Street.

That's a number between 51, Munro's the butcher and the last shop in its row; and 57, the number of the Bank of Scotland; which tends to suggest they might be occupying a new shop in part of the newly-built Bank of Scotland building, which had opened a few months earlier in December 1973.And this recent investment in new premises would make them even more annoyed about the activities of the new competition.

And what had happened to the old premises of the Music Shop ? We can even discover that from this third advert, which shows that the carpet business that under various different names had long occupiedNo 8 Hamilton Street had expanded to occupy as well the old Music Shop at No 25:
Beco Carpets 1974.jpg
Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

A few more of these now, and here are a couple of new clothes shops that look like they were aiming at the young and trendy.

This one at 18 Hamilton Street will have replaced the La Scala Restaurant:
Cladwell 1974.jpg
And No 49 Dockhead Street was previously Radio Rentals:
Miss Lewis 1974.jpg
Meanwhile the exact address in Chapelwell Street isn't given for this new shoeshop, but this post by a family member on s1saltcoats makes it clear that it occupied the former shop of McLachlan the butcher.

Charles Burns 1974.jpg
PS And another new shop that opened in Chapelwell Street was the one in the second advert at this post; a sports shop.

Susan
Last edited by down south on Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Finally, here's one more advertisement, dated 1973, for what was Saltcoats' second Chinese restaurant , the Wan-Yan (the first one having been the Ka Pingin Hamilton Street ).
Wan-Yan Restaurant 1973.jpg
From the address in Vernon Street, between Stewart's the jewellers at No 39 and the TGWU at No 43, it looks like it may have been freshly created out of the house front that I remember as having separated the two; not least because there's still a Chinese takeway on that very spot today:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.63417 ... 56!6m1!1e1

And now, I really have finished....at least for the time being.

Susan
Last edited by down south on Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

If I remember rightly, the owner of that take away was also the chef at Hunterston B Power Station in the staff canteen.
Scott McCallum
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Scott McCallum »

Thanks for your mammoth efforts put in for the stroll, Susan. I was off on holiday and did not know it was over. I enjoyed every minute of it.

Scott McCallum - Glasgow
pussycat
New Poster
New Poster

Post by pussycat »

does any one remember the westfield hotel on the sea front its flats now what a pity. and sheddens the joiners in windmill street.
geomacintyre
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by geomacintyre »

Ray and Gordon in the Music Shop - with the aid of a couple of good US imports - laid the foundation for my collection of Loudon Wainwright III, Kris Kristofferson and John Prine vinyls. Ray was also, if I recall correctly, instrumental in setting up the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Rotaract Club
What we do for ourselves alone dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. - Albert Pine
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

pussycat wrote:does any one remember the westfield hotel on the sea front its flats now what a pity. and sheddens the joiners in windmill street.
Hello Pussycat, the Westfield hotel has been fondly remembered in quite a few posts on the board. Have a wee search by putting "Westfield" in the search box.

Meg
rab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by rab »

hi downsouth
i was reading one of your post about the fountain in saltcoats harbour if you to go stevenston then and now you will find a photo of the fountain at the saltcoats harbour you will need to scroll down the older post hope this is some help to you rab
Last edited by rab on Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

rab wrote:hi downsouth
i was reading one of your post about the fountain in saltcoats harbour if you go stevenston now and then you will find a photo ofthe fountain at the saltcoats harbour you will need to scroll down the older post hope this is some to you rab
Think Rab's referring to a facebook page.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Thanks for explaining , Morag; I confess I was wondering quite where Rab meant. Being one of the last people on the planet to still hold out against joining Facebook, it wouldn't have occurred to me. But thank you Rab for the thought.

Susan