Local Groups/Dance bands

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Mac
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Local Groups/Dance bands

Post by Mac »

georgeflemingard wrote:A local band back in the early 50s was BROWNS MERRYMAKERS, My uncle Eddie Cowan and his Son Logan played in the band. Eddie on Double base and Logan on Trumpet, Anybody remember the far Back?
George
Eddie and Logan Cowan mentioned on photo below. Is that Logan on the trumpet George?
ellenyoung31 wrote:Hello was it Brown Merrymakers, that played in the Rec. I am talking of the 50/60s. Ellen.
Think the caption under this photo answers that Ellen.
BrownsMerrymakers.jpg
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Hi Charlie, welcome to the 3t's, I remember a band called Hi-Fi-Combo playing at local venues, any idea where they came from.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

Hi don't know where the Hi-Fi Combo came from but I got their autographs when they played at the Ingledene.Along with,The Reigning Monarchs,The Trojans,Studio Six,The Mystics,This Generation and The Chevlons.Groupie or what!
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi,The Hi-Fi Combo that I remember was the Bobby Little Hi-fi Combo.If I mind right It was Bobby Little ,Frank Thomson,and Maybe Flem Wilson?? Maybe Ian Frew??The used to play the Walker Hall in Kilbirnie, Sam.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Milda, don't know about groupie, but I see kept a close EYE on the local music scene. :lol: :lol: :lol:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

You are cruising for a bruising AGAIN :lol:
mckay47
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by mckay47 »

charlie hazelton wrote:The Reformers used to play regularly (I think they came from Kilmarnock)
Midnight Express who I think came from Ayr
Thanks Charlie, both those names are familiar to me.....but we're talking early 70's....long time ago! anyway, whoever they were, they were brilliant. :)
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard »

SORRY I DIDN' ANSWER THIS BEFORE, NO IT LOOKS LIKE LOGAN IS NOT IN THIS PHOTO, HE MAY HAVE BEEN TOO YOUNG AT THIS TIME. BUT THAT IS UNCLE EDDIE ON THE BANDJO.
Davie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Davie »

i remember the HI fi combo from dancing at the walker hall the bass player especially. the other band i really remember was the bluefrets graham lyle, benny galagher,neville honeymoon and one other on rhythm guitar.the group were all from largs and being friends with benny i used to get a lot of there practice sessions. when the group broke up benny and graham joined group called the tulsans they played regulary at the craigs davie
A good bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory
David Young
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by David Young »

I used to book Browns Merry Makers when I was secretary of the Youth Felloewhip at Landsborough Church Saltcoats in the late 50's..
I also had many a good night at the Castle Craigs , Ardrossan listening to the Clyde Valley Stompers. At the interval the pianist used to accompany himself and sing operatic arias. He had a lovely tenor voice.
David Young
Scots Al
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Scots Al »

I remember the Kraze. Robert on drums, Johnie Walker (deceased) :( on lead, Hugh Bull on rythm, Big Ollie on bass and Tommy Bryce (deceased) :( on vocals. They played the Thistle Club on Tuesdays.
The Band that Charlie Meenah played keyboard in was called The Soul Pak. They actually released a record but I think the RC renamed them Acadamy for some reason.
Does any one else remember The Kulax :lol: from the same era around '64 '65 ish

I just found out the saddest news of Robert passing. One of the things that brought me to the site was finding that he was such an active member. I was looking forward to having a blether. Too late!!!! I am so sorry I missed him and my thoughts go to his family.
jajar
New Poster
New Poster

Post by jajar »

Hi all Hifi Combo came from Dalry / Kilbirnie very good band we knew them quite well I played with The Chase