Local Groups/Dance bands

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Local Groups/Dance bands

Post by morag »

chriso wrote:
scottmccallumuk wrote:These two links give some photos and notes about two local bands from the mid to late sixties. I saw them both locally or in Arran.

http://www.rockingscots.co.uk/Pakk.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.rockingscots.co.uk/chase.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scott McCallum - Glasgow
I saw a band in Arran with Charlie Meenagh in it but I couldn't remember their name.
This was in the early sixties.
I also went to a dance in Lamlash town hall and the Kinks were playing that night.
There were loads of well known bands playing at Arran then, including the Yardbirds who had Eric Clapton,
Unit four plus 2, the four pennies etc, to name but a few.
Geez, how did I miss that? :x saw quite a few great performers / groups though, so I shouldn't complain 8)
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

The Robertsons
Jim the father..Drums
Harry....Clarinet
Jim jr....not a clue(keyboards??)

Arran.......Teargas played there ..........who became SAHB
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

mckay47 wrote:does anyone know the names of the bands that used to play at The Rec back in the early seventies? There was one that used to sing Proud Mary......but I don't remember their name.......they were great though. Loved the show bands
Betty, there were a number of bands played "Proud Mary" as it was such a popular song. At that time there was a band that played the Rec. and it was difficult to get tickets for, the bands name was "Midnight Express"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I don't anything you're talking about but I remember standing outside a house in Eglinton Road, Ardrossan, when I was a wee boy, and hearing someone (I think somebody said his name was Lex Allan) (was he a local painter?)practicing a brass instrument. One of the older boys said he played for a band called the Back O'Town Synchopaters. I repeat, I know nothing about this topic but I've never forgotten the magical name - Back O'Town Synchopaters. Does it ring a bell with anyone?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Scott, the links you posted were fantastic, a blast from the past. :D I seem to remember a cafe in Saltcoats where Graham Lyle used to Jam.
Chriso , mentioned some bands that played in Arran, I remember attending Whiting bay town hall and being entertained by Nazereth, if my memory serves me right the lead singer was Dan McCafferty.
Stivis - you are spot on with the family musicians, you missed Gus
P.T. you were born in to your trade, when the rest of the 3t's were out enjoying themselves , you were outside listening in.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
bobbydarg
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobbydarg »

Graham lyle used to play in the Eglington cafe in saltcoats. I remember it being a very large place and very busy.
be nice to your children, they'll pick your care home
bobbydarg
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobbydarg »

morag wrote:
chriso wrote:
scottmccallumuk wrote:These two links give some photos and notes about two local bands from the mid to late sixties. I saw them both locally or in Arran.

http://www.rockingscots.co.uk/Pakk.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.rockingscots.co.uk/chase.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scott McCallum - Glasgow
I saw a band in Arran with Charlie Meenagh in it but I couldn't remember their name.
This was in the early sixties.
I also went to a dance in Lamlash town hall and the Kinks were playing that night.
There were loads of well known bands playing at Arran then, including the Yardbirds who had Eric Clapton,
Unit four plus 2, the four pennies etc, to name but a few.
Geez, how did I miss that? :x saw quite a few great performers / groups though, so I shouldn't complain 8)

Charlie Meenah was in the the first band i ever played drums in, we practised in Tommy Walkers dads garage.
be nice to your children, they'll pick your care home
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Penny Tray wrote:I don't anything you're talking about but I remember standing outside a house in Eglinton Road, Ardrossan, when I was a wee boy, and hearing someone (I think somebody said his name was Lex Allan) (was he a local painter?)practicing a brass instrument. One of the older boys said he played for a band called the Back O'Town Synchopaters. I repeat, I know nothing about this topic but I've never forgotten the magical name - Back O'Town Synchopaters. Does it ring a bell with anyone?
Penny,
"Lexie Allan and the Back o Town Synchopaters were a popular local group in the sixties. They played all around the west coast and occasionally would grace the "Jazz Club" In the "Ingledene Hotel".
Yes Lexie was a painter in the family business. They owned a painting and decorating company with the showroom in Glasgow Street down from the EU Church. weve still to visit this part on "gaun for a walk"
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

I know that this is getting off the topic of local bands, but here is an excerpt from a web site I found.
Now I know where I was on the 21st of July 1966. I can recall Slade being at Arran but I thought it was earlier than 71. I wonder if LP was at the concert with nazareth, thin lizzie, and slade, that would have been something special.

Question
I am aware that the Kinks definately performed on the Isle
of Arran, Scotland at Lamlash Village Hall. This was in the early sixties around 1962-64 probably. Can you tell me the exact date and year of the gig. Any more info on bands who played this venue(or on the
island), would also be greatly appreciated! I do know that Nazareth, Thin Lizzy and Slade all played on the same bill at Whiting Bay Hall, Isle of
Arran in 1971 or 72 Many thanks, Davey

July 21st 1966 is when they played Isle of Arran, Scotland, Lamlash Hall. The information was found in their book called The Kinks: All Day and All of the Night : Day-By-Day Concerts, Recordings ...
By Doug Hinman. No other info i can find on other bands playing the same day if any at all. http://books.google.com/books?id=hBlkaD ... e+of+Arran,.." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Idiot - seeks village.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

In Arran,Slade were about 1970 don't think it was as early as 1969 as they would have been called Ambrose Slade........The Shape of Things to Come was their single at the time......and they were a skinhead band

Quo played Arran in their pre tee shirt and jeans and 12 bar boogie period
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Does this guy merit a mention. Unless my word search technique is wrong he doesn't ever appear to have been mentioned on Threetowners?

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... 8%26um%3D1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
charlie hazelton
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by charlie hazelton »

mckay47 wrote:does anyone know the names of the bands that used to play at The Rec back in the early seventies? There was one that used to sing Proud Mary......but I don't remember their name.......they were great though. Loved the show bands

The Reformers used to play regularly (I think they came from Kilmarnock)
Midnight Express who I think came from Ayr