The Lees Lemonade Factory in Dalry Road, Ardrossan

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Jimanderson
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Re: The Lees Lemonade Factory in Dalry Road, Ardrossan

Post by Jimanderson »

I have been trying to find my cousins Aileen, Victor and Isobel Lee and have found a 2010 post on your webpages from Victor's daughter Helen. My mother Margaret Anderson was their mothers sister and for a short time I worked at the lemonade factory. I left Ardrossan in 1954 and have lived in England ever since.
Jim Anderson
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard »

I knew a "Haldon Lee" whos family had a Garage at the top of Glasgow street, Haldon drove a truck, not sure if it was a lemonade truck? was this the same family. He was very friendly with Lex Allan, Donny Shedon, Tommy Balintine. we were all members of the Stevenston and District Motor Cycle Club.
I wonder where all these guys are now?
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Bobby McCubbin's cousin, Lily Taylor, Married one of the Lees from the Garage side .
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

I knew Haldane and his wife Ruby very well, Im sure the lemonade factory was the Uncles , the garage was
Haldane's fathers and two other sons,who's names escapes me, I think they had a carrier service and Haldane did drive a truck..
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Sarah wrote:I knew Haldane and his wife Ruby very well, Im sure the lemonade factory was the Uncles , the garage was
Haldane's fathers and two other sons,who's names escapes me, I think they had a carrier service and Haldane did drive a truck..
Bobby is the same, Sarah. He cannot remember the name of the man his cousin married. Do you think he is suffering from old age?
johndo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by johndo »

georgeflemingard wrote:I knew a "Haldon Lee" whos family had a Garage at the top of Glasgow street, Haldon drove a truck, not sure if it was a lemonade truck? was this the same family. He was very friendly with Lex Allan, Donny Shedon, Tommy Balintine. we were all members of the Stevenston and District Motor Cycle Club.
I wonder where all these guys are now?
I had a chat with Donny at the bike bike show at Inglston a few years back he was on the ACU stand I think, still remember the sound of his 4 stroke single among all the 2 strokes at the Mekile Busy scrambles.Last I heard about Lex he was in a home on the east cost ftom Matt Pedden(another member),with whom I had a chat with by chance he was agent for house I was looking at.
I wonder if the club is still in existence?
Beerdoddy
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by Beerdoddy »

I remember a lady living in a bungalow on Ardrossan Road, Seamill with the surname Lee. I always assumed she was connected to Lees lemonade.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

A previous discussion indicated the Lee family had a house called "Chardon" in Ardrossan Road, Seamill.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Kilmarnock Herald and Ayrshire Gazette
July 20, 1945

Prominent Local People - James Lee

Few are aware of the fact that the firm of James Lee and Sons, Ardrossan, was first started in a wash-house in Princes Place. The founder was Thomas Halden and then it was bought by his son-in-law Mr James Lee. For years the name Lee has been seen daily on motor lorries or shop.

Mr Lee, an Ardrossan man, has been a noted figure in the town, and although he took no active part in public affairs he was versed in ail that happened. In fact, being a successful business man he would have proved an asset to the town as a councillor, but like many more business men found it necessary to devote all his time to his business.

Many have received a helping hand from Mr Lee, and he has guided many on the road to success. Charity was never forgotten by him. He has, we learned, semi-retired and the business has been carried on by his two sons. A careful, but very successful man.