PIECES ON ..........?

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: PIECES ON ..........?

Post by little plum »

meekan wrote:A piece an' mince
Now your talking, but it was easier handled in a roll, a well fired one from Veronica's. I used to get rolls an' mince when I was contracting at Hunterston from the tea boy called Sinky ( Sinclair) his first name I can't remember.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

morag wrote:oooo, salmon and cucumber sandwiches, yum!

Seems we called it American pan bread / loaf and it was usually for visitors. Give me Wonderloaf any day or well fired rolls from Pops.

Oh Morag, you stirred an old memory there - I remember American pan bread - wow, wonder where that came from. I love a plain loaf - I dont think there is bread to beat it the world over (and I've tasted quite a lot:-)

Meg
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

The two makes of syrup I remember were WESTBURN and LYLES.

Was it Lyles that had the dead lion on the tin with the swarm of bees round it - and something written under it about sweetness coming from the strong?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Penny Tray wrote:
Was it Lyles that had the dead lion on the tin with the swarm of bees round it - and something written under it about sweetness coming from the strong?
Penny,
it was lyle's
it's a quote from the bible, Judges 14. "Out of the eater, something to eat. out of the strong something sweet" (NIV bible)
It refers to the riddle which Samson set as a challenge to the Philistines. The riddle relates to the time that he killed a lion with his bare hands. Some time later he passed that way again and noticed that bees had made a hive in the carcass. He scooped the honey out with his hands an ate it as he went on his way. He did not tell anyone about the honey and so was able to set a seemingly unsolvable riddle. But he hadn't reckoned with the treachery of his wife.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Thanks for that Meekan.

Is it not strange that no one has yet mentioned EGGS - fried or boiled.

And square sausage.
Anne
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Anne »

I don't think this is any stranger than any of the other submissions, but my Mum used to buy those squares of Dates. I sliced it thin and put that on bread.

Anne
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Trawling though this topic I saw some-one commenting how strange they found a piece with jam and cheese. I still have that regularly.

We used to call a jam piece a jeely piece.

If an adult saw you in the street with a piece, they would ask, 'Hiv ye goat a sair haun son?'

JD.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Penny Tray wrote:Thanks for that Meekan.

Is it not strange that no one has yet mentioned EGGS - fried or boiled.

And square sausage.
Oh PT - you missed my reply - which was Lothian's slice fried crisp - and on plain bread - dont bother with sauce, you dont need it:-)

M
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Meg,

I did notice your submission but you're in danger of opening up a whole new debate - WHAT IS A SAUSAGE? You said "a Lothian's sausage". A sausage to me was always a link sausage, so I imagined links on your piece. Square sausage was always square sausage.

Incidentally, I don't think anyone has mentioned "freshly cut tomatoes" yet, sometimes with lettuce, sometimes with salad dressing.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Penny Tray wrote:Meg,

I did notice your submission but you're in danger of opening up a whole new debate - WHAT IS A SAUSAGE? You said "a Lothian's sausage". A sausage to me was always a link sausage, so I imagined links on your piece. Square sausage was always square sausage.

Incidentally, I don't think anyone has mentioned "freshly cut tomatoes" yet, sometimes with lettuce, sometimes with salad dressing.
Tomatoes and lettuce would have been fancy in those earlier days, but as a teenager I relished quite a few gammon, tomato and lettuce sandwiches with salad cream. I'm not that old but remember when fruit was not readily available in the three towns and when it was and we had it we broke out in 'heat spots', anybody else remember that?

Also, maybe another topic, we were delighted to get fruit and nuts at Hallowe'en or a tangerine, big thrill, at Christmas,rather than sweets.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Meg Gordon wrote:Plain bread, thick butter and Lothian's sausage, fried crisp.

I'm starving now ......
PT - note there isn't an "a" next to Lothian's - a link is a link, sausage is sliced sausage or, at least it was in Clyde Terrace, maybe Rowanside was a bit more anglified :lol:

M
David Young
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by David Young »

A piece on square sausage (known as Lorne Sausage in England).